VBC Path

rn5a

To create an assembly using the VBC tool from the Command Prompt, if I
run the following command at the prompt where the bin folder resides
(which is D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ASPX), the assembly gets created:

D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\vbc /t:library /out:bin
\Register.dll /r:System.dll /r:System.Data.dll Register.vb

but if I simply run

vbc /t:library /out:bin\Register.dll /r:System.dll /r:System.Data.dll
Register.vb

then I am told that

------------------------------------
'vbc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

I added D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 (where vbc.exe
resides) to the Path variable (Control Panel--->System--->Advanced---
Environment Variables--->System variables but that doesn't make any
difference; I still have to type the entire path of vbc.exe to create
assemblies.

How do I resolve this?

Last week, when I updated my WinXP Pro (SP2) machine, .NET Framework
v3.0 got installed but there isn't any vbc.exe in the v3.0 folder.