Astronomy Website Critique

Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly

Chris said:
Hmmm if you do a good job you'll get lots of work, but you will become very,
very poor!

How many hours is it going to take you?

Doing 3 hours a day, a week probably

How much do you think that your time is worth an hour?

Well charging more seems a bit much. My first customer that I had, I got
because I offered it for £100 instead of the £400 he had been quoted.
She wasn't going to do it at all until she met me.

Small businesses often can't afford a price of £250 - £1000 for a
website, some don't turn over that much profit within the first 2 or 3
years of starting. £100 is enough to keep me happy (it's not my main
job) and getting 3 or 4 contracts a month, I make a bit of extra money
and those clients usually reccommend me to friends.

What about capital costs; your training, books, depreciation on your assets?
Tax?

Never had any training and I have 3 books, 1 is a pocket guide to HTML
4.01 that lists all the tags and what they do (£9.95), "The Complete
Guide to HTML 4" (£19.99) from 1999 and the other is "The Complete
Refence guide to website design" (£34.99). I paid these off years ago.

The only asset I use is my computer and whilst I'm planning on buying a
new one for Photoshop and video editing, my current one is fine for
website design. Although it depreciates in value, it still does the job
just as well. The new one will be out of the wages that I earn from site
design.

If you are going to charge a fee you may as well make it realisic, and agree
the fee, in writing, before you start.

Always do :)

Make sure that you include some
mechanisim to allow the client to add extra pages not in the original
contract, at a cost of course.

Yes, I offer that facility, but I also show, if asked, how to update the
site themselves, at a basic level (updating a logo or some content) but
as for the PHP or ASP coding behind it. That way if they ever need any
reasonable amount of work done on the site, I can update for £5 a page
HTML and £15 per 50 lines of ASP/PHP.