Augmenting ECMA-262 specs: crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by optimistx, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. optimistx

    optimistx Guest

    Regulars of this group have done valuable work to build FAQ.
    FAQ is supposed to be correct and easy to understand material.
    Is there anything, which is even more correct, more complete,
    and easy to learn?

    Many discussions here end up referring to ECMA-262, which
    obviously should be the final truth (with errata-sheet included).

    Why not add examples, clarifications, images, opinions, recommendations,
    discussions directly to ECMA-262 and make it our Holy Bible
    in practice, fun to study and discuss?

    Copyright issues? No problem!

    ???

    With bookmarklets (favelets). The user loads the html-version
    of ECMA-262 to his/her machine, clicks a bookmarklet (one or
    several) , which adds the
    extra material from any servers as js-files to the user machine, merging
    it to any locations in ECMA-262, in different colors, e.g. blue.

    Copyright is respected, because the final user in his/her computer
    makes the modificitions, nobody else.

    The process could be started immediately by any person or group,
    and proceed step by step. An example could be made first to play
    with the idea.

    Thus the user manual would emerge gradually and naturally.

    Your opinion?
    optimistx, Nov 6, 2009

  2. On Nov 6, 12:08 pm, "optimistx" <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > Why not add examples, clarifications, images, opinions, recommendations,
    > discussions directly to ECMA-262
    > [...]

    Because it's a technical algorithm descriptions but not the practical
    hand/cook book with funny pictures and easy (but not correct)
    terminology which we can see in many articles.

    I wrote 7 deep articles of ECMA-262-3 details <http://javascript.ru/
    ecmascript-in-detail>, but for now they are just in Russian. I'll find
    the time and will translate them. There will be something you want to
    do with ECMA-262 standard - simplified but accurate and correct
    explanations of algorithms and so one.

    But if you're talking just about marginal notes made right in ECMA-262
    standard - that's a good idea and everyone can do it himself.
    Dmitry A. Soshnikov, Nov 6, 2009

  3. optimistx

    optimistx Guest

    Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:

    > Because it's a technical algorithm descriptions but not the practical
    > hand/cook book with funny pictures and easy (but not correct)
    > terminology which we can see in many articles.
    >
    > I wrote 7 deep articles of ECMA-262-3 details <http://javascript.ru/
    > ecmascript-in-detail>, but for now they are just in Russian. I'll find
    > the time and will translate them. There will be something you want to
    > do with ECMA-262 standard - simplified but accurate and correct
    > explanations of algorithms and so one.
    >
    > But if you're talking just about marginal notes made right in ECMA-262
    > standard - that's a good idea and everyone can do it himself.

    Your kind tone makes me happy, thanks.

    The first time you mentioned your articles I let google translate them for
    me. I understood quite a lot, but not everything. If I understood
    Russian, I woul like to translate them.

    Yes, marginal notes can be written by oneself, but how to share them
    with others? E.g. php-manual (for php-language) has reader comments,
    which I many times have found more interesting than the actual manual
    text; but both are useful.

    I proposed to start from ECMA-262 because here some knowledgeable
    purists do not respect anything
    else, even Flanagan's book is rubbish or unreliable or something.

    But maybe that most regulars know so much about javascript that
    these are not interesting for them.

    phph-manual: http://www.php.net/manual/en/

    bookmarklets in practice:
    http://instacalc.com
    http://betterexplained.com/articles/how-to-make-a-bookmarklet-for-your-web-application/
    optimistx, Nov 7, 2009
  4. optimistx

    optimistx Guest

    Jake Jarvis wrote:

    > So what's your current status on that "annotation project"?

    It has not been started :). Perhaps other similar or better projects for
    ECMAScript learning exist already (?).
    optimistx, Nov 7, 2009
  5. optimistx

    VK Guest

    On Nov 7, 3:20 pm, "optimistx" <> wrote:
    > Jake Jarvis wrote:
    >
    > > So what's your current status on that "annotation project"?

    > It has not been started :). Perhaps other similar or better projects for
    > ECMAScript learning exist already (?).

    I'd really like to see ECMA Books translated in Latin one day - that
    would be a psychedelic reading stuff I would pay to have :)
    VK, Nov 7, 2009
  6. optimistx

    VK Guest

    On Nov 7, 6:18 pm, Jake Jarvis <> wrote:
    > VK wrote:

    > >> It has not been started :). Perhaps other similar or better projects for
    > >> ECMAScript learning exist already (?).

    > > I'd really like to see ECMA Books translated in Latin one day - that
    > > would be a psychedelic reading stuff I would pay to have :)

    > For your strictly decorative bookshelf which already houses the original
    > specification?

    Oh yes, together with my special English edition bound in human flesh
    and inked in blood :)
    VK, Nov 7, 2009
  7. In comp.lang.javascript message <4af52a7d$0$6298$>,
    Sat, 7 Nov 2009 10:06:23, optimistx <> posted:

    >I proposed to start from ECMA-262 because here some knowledgeable
    >purists do not respect anything
    >else, even Flanagan's book is rubbish or unreliable or something.

    You need to say whether you intend to use ECMA 263 3rd Edition and which
    errata, in which case you should equally be using ISO/IEC 16262, since
    16262 is a more recent version with some of the errors removed; or
    whether you will be using 5th Edition, in which case (AFAIK) you can
    only make draft comments, since (AFAIK) 5th Edition has not yet received
    the final and indispensable accolade of being formally issued.

    Dr J R Stockton, Nov 8, 2009
  8. kangax wrote:

    > VK wrote:
    >>> It has not been started :). Perhaps other similar or better projects for
    >>> ECMAScript learning exist already (?).

    >> I'd really like to see ECMA Books translated in Latin one day - that
    >> would be a psychedelic reading stuff I would pay to have :)

    > Why latin? They are already translated to Russian by Soshnikov, which
    > you can read easily.

    There are no "ECMA Books" or "Book(s) of ECMA". Please do not follow up on
    that newest religious fantasy of the person calling themselves "VK" here.

    Instead, there are several technical Specifications published by Ecma
    International (formerly ECMA), the one (or two) relevant here being numbered
    ECMA-262 (and titled "ECMAScript Language Specification" -- of which there
    are three published Editions so far, the third being the most relevant
    today) and ECMA-357 (titled "ECMAScript for XML").

    > Why not start with that?

    Because they already admitted they "don't give a damn" what "ECMA" has to
    say?

    PointedEars
    --
    var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
    ) // Plone, register_function.js:16
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 9, 2009
  9. On Nov 9, 8:52 pm, kangax <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > They are already translated to Russian by Soshnikov
    > [...]

    No, kangax, I write my author's articles about ECMA-262-3 features,
    explaining this stuff to every interested in ES deeply.

    But if meant translation of exactly ECMA-262-3 specification - we also
    have the Russion translation - <http://javascript.ru/ecma> - that's
    official translation coordinated and agreed with ECMA, but it was
    translated not by me (though, was review by me also).
    Dmitry A. Soshnikov, Nov 9, 2009