authentication mode windows : web vs web service application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by donet programmer, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. I have created web service application in .net 2.0 with IIS set to
    disable anonymous access and use windows integrated authentication. My
    web.config is set as below

    <authentication mode="Windows" />
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?"/>
    </authorization>

    When I try to access this web service from my domain account, I can
    successfully call web methods. Whereas through my local account, I get
    an error saying access denied for user (null).

    I thought if I create a web application with same settings I will get
    same behavior. But I was wrong when I use my local account I can still
    access webforms and LOGON_USER server variable is set to my local
    machine name\username.

    I am really confused, why does this setting work for web services but
    not for web applications. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

    donet programmer, Jan 18, 2008