Authorization Problem

Sunny

Hi all,

I have an ASP.NET application which worked fine on the live site. We
performed a recent upgrade and have a strange problem. When I access the
home page (default.aspx) it pops up an authentication dialog box. I click ok
or cancel 3 times and get the following error:

====
Access to the path "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\root\ec99ce5e\f59722f\xifdaakl.0.vb" is denied.
CodeDomProvider 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider'. Please review the
stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in
the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\ec99ce5e\f59722f\xifdaakl.0.vb" is denied.

The ASP.NET process is not authorized to access the requested resource. For
security reasons the default ASP.NET process identity is
'{machinename}\ASPNET', which has limited privileges. Consider granting
access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET process identity.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
"{machinename}\ASPNET" user. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
Write box in the Allow column.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\ec99ce5e\f59722f\xifdaakl.0.vb" is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean
bFromProxy) +859
System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access,
FileShare share) +45
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDomBatch(CompilerParameters
options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea) +272
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDom(CompilerParameters options,
CodeCompileUnit e) +90

System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.C
ompileAssemblyFromDom(CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit e) +37
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType() +250

----
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET
Version:1.0.3705.288
====

Everything seems to work fine when I browse into mysite/admin (I dont get
any authentication popup over here).
The hosting guys say everything is fine with the security of the ASPNET
user. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Sunny.

Hernan de Lahitte

Hi,

You should need full control ACL for the ASPNET account or whaever account
you use in C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary
ASP.NET folder. For more details see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp?frame=true

Regards,
Hernan.

--
Eng. Hernan de Lahitte - MSDE
Lagash Systems S.A. - Buenos Aires, Argentina

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
----
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET
Version:1.0.3705.288
====

Everything seems to work fine when I browse into mysite/admin (I dont get
any authentication popup over here).
The hosting guys say everything is fine with the security of the ASPNET
user. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Sunny.

Holly Mazerolle

You may also want to check and make sure that the asp.net mappings are
still correct on the machine.

306005 HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005

Holly

Sunny

Thanks Hernan & Holly. I asked the hosting provider to re-check their
settings and they got the problem rectified after having said earlier that
their settings were "perfect".

Sunny.