timeout of the vbc.exe when updating application files

Vavane

When we update some files of our ASP.NET application on our customers
servers, the vbc.exe process compiles these files "on the fly" at the
first call. Right.

For one server (running Windows 2000 Server), we have a randomly
timeout on the vbc.exe process while users are connected to the
application... This error never occured on our other customers servers.
Any idea ?

Here is the error message :

Timed out waiting for a program to execute. The command being executed
was "c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe"
@"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\opdotnet\4fe66cbc\5eabf8e1\d6nzf9nz.cmdline".
the CodeDomProvider 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider'. Please
review the stack trace for more information about the error and where
it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException:
Timed out waiting for a program to execute. The command being executed
was "c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe"
@"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\opdotnet\4fe66cbc\5eabf8e1\d6nzf9nz.cmdline".

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[ExternalException (0x102): Timed out waiting for a program to execute.
The command being executed was
"c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe"
@"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\opdotnet\4fe66cbc\5eabf8e1\d6nzf9nz.cmdline".]

System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpersonated(IntPtr
userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles,
String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) +1719
System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCapture(IntPtr
userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles,
String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) +260
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.Compile(CompilerParameters
options, String compilerDirectory, String compilerExe, String
arguments, String& outputFile, Int32& nativeReturnValue, String
trueArgs) +383

System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters
options, String[] fileNames) +545
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDomBatch(CompilerParameters
options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea) +429
System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDom(CompilerParameters
options, CodeCompileUnit e) +90

System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromDom(CompilerParameters
options, CodeCompileUnit e) +39
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType() +225

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Kevin Spencer

Hi Vavane,

Have you installed the .Net framework 1.1 Service Pack? Here is a Knowledge
Base article that may be relevant to your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832597

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer