Authorizing network and external users

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Erick, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Erick

    Erick Guest

    I'm trying to develop a single security model that has to work for
    authenticated users and for users coming in from the outside world.

    I have looked at the Web Site Administration tool for dealing with
    external users and creating roles.

    The problem with this tool is that
    a) it appears only to be available in a development environment and
    can't be used in production by the application administrator
    b) There is no way to map Authorized i.e. an entire NT security group
    against the same.

    I should be able to write code like this

    If User.IsInRole("SysAdmin") OrElse User.IsInRole("Moderator") Then
    ' User is OK
    Else
    ' Redirect to unauthorized access page
    End If

    iIn my application and not worry if the role belongs to a user who is
    part of an NT Security group or someone who has logged in through the
    internet with a password.

    I'd like to store all the information and relationships in a single
    datastore. And give the application administrator the ability to
    manage it similar to the Web Site Adminstrator interfacet.

    Has anyone tried anything similar? Have you run into any issues ?

    Erick

    Erick, Aug 28, 2007