Auto-Format (HTML) in VS.NET

Alex Nitulescu

Hi. Is there any way to really disable that stupid HTML auto-formatting in
VS.NET ?

I have a page with a lot of complicated HTML (many complex tables etc) and
JScripts. If it's not formatted properly, I can get lost in a second. So I
spent probably half an hour to format my HTML to suit my tastes. I took care
to un-check both check-boxes under "Apply Automatic Formatting" -
Options/HTML-XML/Format ("When saving document" and "When switching from
design to HTML/XML view").

Still, after all my work, VS.NET re-formatted my code (i.e. made a
*COMPLETE* mess out of my carefully arranged tags).

Is there a way to completely kill this great "feature" ?

Thank you, Alex.

Guest

Hi Alex,

Change the Page Layout of your document to FlowLayout (Default Grid Layout)

... Select Document from properties box. >> Go to Page Layout Property and
select Flow Layout.

Cheers,

Jerome. M

Alex Nitulescu

It *IS* FlowLayout already ! :-(((((((

DotNetJerome said:
Hi Alex,

Change the Page Layout of your document to FlowLayout (Default Grid
Layout)

.. Select Document from properties box. >> Go to Page Layout Property and
select Flow Layout.

Cheers,

Jerome. M

Tampa.NET Koder

I'm sorry buddy. Microsoft's answer to this is VS 2005. I would use either
dreamweaver or notepad to do your web layout. And just use VS.NET to do
your coding.

Guest

I was having the same problem and contacted MS. The solution that they
offerred was:

Insure that the <FORM> tag immediately follows the <BODY> tag.
Likewise the </FORM> tag must immediately precede the </BODY> tag.
If there are errors in the HTML (like a missing closing tag, a malformed
id, etc.)
the html will be reformatted to something you don't want.

I followed the suggestions and reformatting stopped.

I have been informed that this is a bug and that MS is looking into it. I
was also informed that .NET 2005 (Whidby) will fix the problem so it appears
that no fix will be made to .NET 2003.

HTH

Gus