Automated Background printing of Office Documents

Lee Harris

Hello,
I have a client that has about 150 users on a intranet that I've
created. The server is Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0 and has Office 2000
installed. The client came to me and asked if it was possible to print
MS Word and Excel docuements right from the ASP page. First I said sure
I'll just link the document to the page then you can print it. That's
not what they wanted, they wanted to be able to click on a link and have
the server print off the document in the background. Easier said then
done. Well I searched Microsoft KB articles intill I came across an
article about just that Automated Background printing of Office
Documents. However Microsoft has a notice that this solutions is not
supported because of the high load on the servers. Now I'm looking for
any solution that you might know of that will allow background printing
with more stability. If you know of any components or code writen in
ASP that would be great. Or even ASP.NET would be great if some code
exists. My current code is as follows.

<%
On Error Resume Next
Dim myExcel
Dim myBook
Dim rs
Dim CurrentFile

currentfile = Request ("file")

Set myExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set myBook = myExcel.Workbooks.Open(CurrentFile)
myExcel.DisplayAlerts = False
myExcel.FeatureInstall = False

myBook.PrintOut

mybook.close 2
Set myBook = Nothing
myExcel.Quit()
Set myExcel = Nothing

Response.Redirect "print2.asp?type=" & Request ("type")
%>

The problem I get is when the document is closing, it doesn't seem to
completly close the Excel application. Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance
Lee

Lee Harris
Internet Solutions Developer