Automatic break in cell?

Moshe Rosenberg

Hi,

I have this problem that is driving me nuts:

For some reason, if the text in a certain cell reaches just before the breaking point for a new line, it automatically inserts a break! This only happens in IE, not Netscape.

See: www.rtchabad.org for an example. On the left menu there is a listing of items. "The Jewish Women's Circle" has two breaks instead of the regular one (via a BR).

Are there any workarounds that anyone can suggest?

Thanks so much!

Moshe

spaghetti

Moshe Rosenberg said:
See: www.rtchabad.org for an example. On the left menu there is a listing of items. "The
Jewish Women's Circle" has two breaks instead of the regular one (via a
BR).

It's your somewhat muddled markup that's causing the problem. <span>s are
inline elements, and are applied right after what came before it, on the
same line. IE calculates the width of the <span> that comes after your link
as part of the line width, which is enough to cause a wrap.

Solution:
Get rid of your ugly spacers and muddled markup. Here I've redone your
entire sidebar menu with a single <ul> and three CSS rules...

<ul id="navigation">
</ul>

#navigation {
list-style:none;
margin:5px 10px 0 0;
padding:0;
text-align:right; }
#navigation li { margin:0 0 .5em; }
#navigation li a { text-decoration:none; }

See? TONS easier and cleaner than all those wicked nested table rows etc.
Just pop the <ul> where your navigation goes, and put the CSS code into your
stylesheet. weak as desired. :)

Adrienne

Hi,

I have this problem that is driving me nuts:

For some reason, if the text in a certain cell reaches just before the
breaking point for a new line, it automatically inserts a break! This
only happens in IE, not Netscape.

See: www.rtchabad.org for an example. On the left menu there is a
listing of items. "The Jewish Women's Circle" has two breaks instead of
the regular one (via a BR).

Are there any workarounds that anyone can suggest?

1. Please post in plain text only
2. Decide on either HTML or XHTML and stick with it
3. Decide on a DTD put that in
4. Put your document through a validator and fix the errors
5. Use tables for tabular data, CSS for presentation

You have so much tag soup that I am amazed. You're mixing CSS with spacer
gifs - it's like using an old hand cranked washing machine when you have a
brand new Maytag.