AVI file sound no video

tshad

We are trying to set up our site to allow presentations from our customers.
We want to allow them to upload video presentations.

We tried doing one here and if you double click the file it work works fine.

If you try to link to it from IE or Mozilla (which forces you to download a
driver to handle an avi file), it plays the sound fine, but not the video.
It is just an video created from our web cam.

What is causing the problem and if we allow our customers to create these
files, what do we tell them to do to create their videos (we don't want to
handle every possible format our there).

Thanks,

Tom

Ian Rastall

If you try to link to it from IE or Mozilla (which forces you to download a
driver to handle an avi file), it plays the sound fine, but not the video.

Are you compressing the AVI with, say, DivX or XviD? Every user would
have to install those codecs on their own before they could use your
site. I mention this because whenever I've played an AVI file without
having the correct codec, I get sound, but no picture.

Ian

tshad

Ian Rastall said:
video.

Are you compressing the AVI with, say, DivX or XviD? Every user would
have to install those codecs on their own before they could use your
site. I mention this because whenever I've played an AVI file without
having the correct codec, I get sound, but no picture.

I don't know if it compressed or not. We are just using a webcam and
creating the file.

Is there a way to set it up so that we don't have to worry about the codecs?

Thanks,

Tom

Ian Rastall

Is there a way to set it up so that we don't have to worry about the codecs?

Not really sure. You might have more luck with a video newsgroup, like
rec.video.desktop, or alt.divx. I know that .mpg files will work, if
that looks like an option. Encoding .avi to .mpg isn't too hard.
TMPGEnc would do it.

Ian