AXD 404 File or Directory Not Found Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brent Martin, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Brent Martin

    Brent Martin Guest

    Been struggling with the following for awhile. If anyone could lead
    me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it...

    We have an IIS web server that returns a "404" error whenever a file
    with an ".axd" extension is requested (trace.axd, webresource.axd,
    etc...). We originally had the .NET 2.0 Beta 2 Framework installed on
    it (and had this problem back then), and recently upgraded to the
    final 2.0 release--hoping that it would fix the problem (but it
    didn't). We have three other web servers with similar setups, and they
    work fine.

    In IIS Manager, I've verified that the ".axd" application extension's
    option "Check that file exists" is unchecked. We're not doing anything
    with HTTP compression. We haven't made any wildcard application
    mappings. Any ideas on where else I should look to get the server to
    return ".axd" files?

    Thanks...

    Brent Martin, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Brent Martin

    epi_boy

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Finally fixed the WebResource.axd 404 problem on my EPiServer site

    I tried a lot of the different options for fixing this which you can find on-line.

    The only thing that finally fix this problem for me, was to uncheck the "Verify that file exists" check box for the Wildcard entry I had under IIS Properties for the site>Home directory>Configuration...>"Edit" on the entries for the wildcard entries>Uncheck the check box.

    To me it does not make sense that wildcard would overrule the specific entry that states that AXD files should be loaded as such.. (stated in the Application extensions section above) But it seems to do so anyway.

    This saved my day that is for sure!

    Good luck out there!

    EPi_Boy

    epi_boy, Jan 23, 2008