Background to a web page

Glenn Christensen

Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

Thanks in advance.

dorayme

Glenn Christensen said:
Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
that?

Sherman Pendley

Glenn Christensen said:
Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

You could use CSS to set the z-index of an iframe element. Strictly speaking,
it wouldn't actually be the background, but the visual effect would be the
same as if it were.

That said... why on earth would you want to do such a thing??? :)

sherm--

richard

Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

Thanks in advance.

Unless the background page is your creation and rests on the same server,
you could be guilty of stealing bandwidth. Afterall, the other guy is
paying for his "rights" for his visitors to see "his" work.

Having one overloaded web page is bad enough and you want to double it? So
I trust the background you want is something simple.

Glenn Christensen

richard said:
Unless the background page is your creation and rests on the same server,
you could be guilty of stealing bandwidth. Afterall, the other guy is
paying for his "rights" for his visitors to see "his" work.

Having one overloaded web page is bad enough and you want to double it? So
I trust the background you want is something simple.

May I put off working on your questions until I'm done dealing with
mine? Thank you.

Glenn Christensen

Sherman said:
You could use CSS to set the z-index of an iframe element. Strictly speaking,
it wouldn't actually be the background, but the visual effect would be the
same as if it were.

Thanks, Sherman. I know a little CSS, but will have to look up that
Z-index thingy.
That said... why on earth would you want to do such a thing??? :)
Not yet sure that I want to do it, but I do want to take a look at it. I
bring my forum onto a web page via iFrame. It takes up the left 50% of
the page. The right 50% is another iFrame containing links, news, title
- well, a host of things.

The layout of the page is such that users could see enough of the
background (changing text data) while using the forum to decided whether
or not they wanted to scroll down (repeating background) to below the
forum and read the information. I would like to get away from a link
and/or opening in a window.

This is not a commercial web site.

Glenn Christensen

dorayme said:
You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
that?
Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.

dorayme

You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
that?
Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.[/QUOTE]

I am sure you are not simple minded, did not mean to imply this!
Actually I had an idea that maybe some script could in effect get
a screen shot and somehow this could be inserted dynamically as a
background image. But have no real idea of how to bring this
about... might be worth asking at alt.php? Or not, if it would
not be "live" enough for you? Good luck anyway.

Wyngs

dorayme said:
Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.

I am sure you are not simple minded, did not mean to imply this!
Actually I had an idea that maybe some script could in effect get
a screen shot and somehow this could be inserted dynamically as a
background image. But have no real idea of how to bring this
about... might be worth asking at alt.php? Or not, if it would
not be "live" enough for you? Good luck anyway.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, lady.

Andy Dingley

Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

Yes, loads of them. I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them though.

What you're literally talking about here (by using terms like
"background") is client-side assembly of a rendered bitmap image.
That's not a good end-result to aim at: it dumps the semantics of text
web documents in favour of pictures, it's inaccessible, and it relies
on the real-time availability of other peoples' servers.

A much better way to do this broad topic of "aggregating content" is
to use server-side processing and to produce final web document that's
still a web document, not just a picture of one. This is standard
aggregation technology these days - use Atom or RSS, either is _far_
easier than trying to scrpae HTML form other sites.

Agggregation also permits caching, so you're not hitting other
peoples' bandwidth so heavily, and you're not so dependent on their
server reliability.

If you want aggregated content as a "background", then SSI to a <div>,
or indeed directly into <iframe> works. Use z-index to control
"layering".

If you really want to, you can render the content to a bitmap (or
aggregate a bitmap) and then use background-image on your page. This
is very easy, but it has the limitations described above. It would all
depend on what you're after - a "browser wallpaper of the day" service
might be cute.

Wyngs

dorayme said:

Whoops! Sorry. Did I have the wrong gender? In thinking back, I guess I
can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity.
(grin)

Wyngs

Andy said:
[...]

Many thanks, Andy. I had to print that out for later reference.
Obviously, I have to find out what this layering is all about before I
go further.

dorayme

Wyngs said:
can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity

Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
<g>

Wyngs

dorayme said:
Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
<g>
Well, a frog has twice as many chromosomes as a human - so who knows?
But I guess I'm destined not to know. In any case, I will always mind my
manners - just in case. (grin)

****
Still haven't found diddly about z layers - not even at W3C. What I did
find was just a lot of references to it. However, I've only spent a few
minutes looking, so far. (I know it's out there or you people wouldn't
be using it). Heh.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 01:45:08 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
<g>

I'm sure you are gorgeous - at least if the dumb broad theory has any
validity.

dorayme

Wyngs said:
Well, a frog has twice as many chromosomes as a human - so who knows?
But I guess I'm destined not to know. In any case, I will always mind my
manners - just in case. (grin)

er... actually, I have no chromosomes, its not like that with me,
there is nothing wet about me... but seeing as you are so nice
like, I think you will find some good, probably *the best*, info
on z indexing at

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-z-index