Background to a web page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Glenn Christensen, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    Thanks in advance.

    Glenn Christensen, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Glenn Christensen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Glenn Christensen <> wrote:

    > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
    that?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Glenn Christensen <> writes:

    > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    You could use CSS to set the z-index of an iframe element. Strictly speaking,
    it wouldn't actually be the background, but the visual effect would be the
    same as if it were.

    That said... why on earth would you want to do such a thing??? :)

    sherm--

    Sherman Pendley, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Glenn Christensen

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:50:36 -0700, Glenn Christensen wrote:

    > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Unless the background page is your creation and rests on the same server,
    you could be guilty of stealing bandwidth. Afterall, the other guy is
    paying for his "rights" for his visitors to see "his" work.

    Having one overloaded web page is bad enough and you want to double it? So
    I trust the background you want is something simple.

    richard, Oct 31, 2007
  5. richard wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:50:36 -0700, Glenn Christensen wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Unless the background page is your creation and rests on the same server,
    > you could be guilty of stealing bandwidth. Afterall, the other guy is
    > paying for his "rights" for his visitors to see "his" work.
    >
    > Having one overloaded web page is bad enough and you want to double it? So
    > I trust the background you want is something simple.

    May I put off working on your questions until I'm done dealing with
    mine? Thank you.

    Glenn Christensen, Nov 1, 2007
  6. Sherman Pendley wrote:

    > Glenn Christensen <> writes:
    >
    > > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    > You could use CSS to set the z-index of an iframe element. Strictly speaking,
    > it wouldn't actually be the background, but the visual effect would be the
    > same as if it were.

    Thanks, Sherman. I know a little CSS, but will have to look up that
    Z-index thingy.

    > That said... why on earth would you want to do such a thing??? :)

    Not yet sure that I want to do it, but I do want to take a look at it. I
    bring my forum onto a web page via iFrame. It takes up the left 50% of
    the page. The right 50% is another iFrame containing links, news, title
    - well, a host of things.

    The layout of the page is such that users could see enough of the
    background (changing text data) while using the forum to decided whether
    or not they wanted to scroll down (repeating background) to below the
    forum and read the information. I would like to get away from a link
    and/or opening in a window.

    This is not a commercial web site.

    Glenn Christensen, Nov 1, 2007
  7. dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?
    > >

    > You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
    > that?

    Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
    you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
    changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.

    Glenn Christensen, Nov 1, 2007
  8. Glenn Christensen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Glenn Christensen <> wrote:

    > > You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
    > > that?
    > >

    > Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
    > you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
    > changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.

    I am sure you are not simple minded, did not mean to imply this!
    Actually I had an idea that maybe some script could in effect get
    a screen shot and somehow this could be inserted dynamically as a
    background image. But have no real idea of how to bring this
    about... might be worth asking at alt.php? Or not, if it would
    not be "live" enough for you? Good luck anyway.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 1, 2007
  9. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    >
    > > > You could take a screenshot and use the pic... but other than
    > > > that?
    > > >

    > > Dang, Dorayme! I'm not that simpleminded! (grin). But I do appreciate
    > > you taking the time to make a suggestion. The web page I want to use
    > > changes regularly, so the pic idea isn't an option.

    > I am sure you are not simple minded, did not mean to imply this!
    > Actually I had an idea that maybe some script could in effect get
    > a screen shot and somehow this could be inserted dynamically as a
    > background image. But have no real idea of how to bring this
    > about... might be worth asking at alt.php? Or not, if it would
    > not be "live" enough for you? Good luck anyway.

    Thank you, lady.

    Wyngs, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Glenn Christensen

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 31 Oct, 03:50, Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    Yes, loads of them. I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them though.

    What you're literally talking about here (by using terms like
    "background") is client-side assembly of a rendered bitmap image.
    That's not a good end-result to aim at: it dumps the semantics of text
    web documents in favour of pictures, it's inaccessible, and it relies
    on the real-time availability of other peoples' servers.

    A much better way to do this broad topic of "aggregating content" is
    to use server-side processing and to produce final web document that's
    still a web document, not just a picture of one. This is standard
    aggregation technology these days - use Atom or RSS, either is _far_
    easier than trying to scrpae HTML form other sites.

    Agggregation also permits caching, so you're not hitting other
    peoples' bandwidth so heavily, and you're not so dependent on their
    server reliability.

    If you want aggregated content as a "background", then SSI to a <div>,
    or indeed directly into <iframe> works. Use z-index to control
    "layering".

    If you really want to, you can render the content to a bitmap (or
    aggregate a bitmap) and then use background-image on your page. This
    is very easy, but it has the limitations described above. It would all
    depend on what you're after - a "browser wallpaper of the day" service
    might be cute.

    Andy Dingley, Nov 1, 2007
  11. Glenn Christensen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Wyngs <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    > >

    > Thank you, lady.

    er...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 1, 2007
  12. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Wyngs <> wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    > > >

    > > Thank you, lady.

    > er...

    Whoops! Sorry. Did I have the wrong gender? In thinking back, I guess I
    can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity.
    (grin)

    Wyngs, Nov 1, 2007
  13. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On 31 Oct, 03:50, Glenn Christensen <> wrote:
    > > Is there any way to use a web page as a background to another web page?

    > Yes, loads of them. I'm not sure I'd recommend any of them though.
    >
    > What you're literally talking about here (by using terms like
    > "background") is client-side assembly of a rendered bitmap image.
    > That's not a good end-result to aim at: it dumps the semantics of text
    > web documents in favour of pictures, it's inaccessible, and it relies
    > on the real-time availability of other peoples' servers.
    >
    > A much better way to do this broad topic of "aggregating content" is
    > to use server-side processing and to produce final web document that's
    > still a web document, not just a picture of one. This is standard
    > aggregation technology these days - use Atom or RSS, either is _far_
    > easier than trying to scrpae HTML form other sites.
    >
    > Agggregation also permits caching, so you're not hitting other
    > peoples' bandwidth so heavily, and you're not so dependent on their
    > server reliability.
    >
    > If you want aggregated content as a "background", then SSI to a <div>,
    > or indeed directly into <iframe> works. Use z-index to control
    > "layering".
    >
    > If you really want to, you can render the content to a bitmap (or
    > aggregate a bitmap) and then use background-image on your page. This
    > is very easy, but it has the limitations described above. It would all
    > depend on what you're after - a "browser wallpaper of the day" service
    > might be cute.

    Many thanks, Andy. I had to print that out for later reference.
    Obviously, I have to find out what this layering is all about before I
    go further.

    Wyngs, Nov 1, 2007
  14. Glenn Christensen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Wyngs <> wrote:

    > can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity

    Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
    And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
    about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
    example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
    <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 2, 2007
  15. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Wyngs <> wrote:

    > > can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity

    > Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
    > And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
    > about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
    > example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
    > <g>

    Well, a frog has twice as many chromosomes as a human - so who knows?
    But I guess I'm destined not to know. In any case, I will always mind my
    manners - just in case. (grin)

    ****
    Still haven't found diddly about z layers - not even at W3C. What I did
    find was just a lot of references to it. However, I've only spent a few
    minutes looking, so far. (I know it's out there or you people wouldn't
    be using it). Heh.

    Wyngs, Nov 2, 2007
  16. Glenn Christensen

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 02 Nov 2007 01:45:08 GMT
    dorayme scribed:

    > In article <>,
    > Wyngs <> wrote:

    >> can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity

    > Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
    > And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
    > about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
    > example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
    > <g>

    I'm sure you are gorgeous - at least if the dumb broad theory has any
    validity.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Nov 2, 2007
  17. Glenn Christensen

    rf Guest

    "Wyngs" <> wrote in message

    > Still haven't found diddly about z layers - not even at W3C.

    You probably mean z-index.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 2, 2007
  18. Glenn Christensen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Wyngs <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Wyngs <> wrote:

    > > > can't remember anything that said you were pretty half of humanity

    > > Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
    > > And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
    > > about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
    > > example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
    > > <g>
    > >

    > Well, a frog has twice as many chromosomes as a human - so who knows?
    > But I guess I'm destined not to know. In any case, I will always mind my
    > manners - just in case. (grin)

    er... actually, I have no chromosomes, its not like that with me,
    there is nothing wet about me... but seeing as you are so nice
    like, I think you will find some good, probably *the best*, info
    on z indexing at

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-z-index

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 2, 2007
  19. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    Wyngs, Nov 2, 2007
  20. Glenn Christensen

    Wyngs Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Wyngs <> wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme wrote:

    > > > Modesty prevents me from saying anything about how pretty I am.
    > > > And, you are not to know and I do not blame you, your assumption
    > > > about the percentage is a tricky one. Is a non-human, for
    > > > example, a frog, a percentage of humanity (albeit zero) or not?
    > > > <g>
    > > >

    > > Well, a frog has twice as many chromosomes as a human - so who knows?
    > > But I guess I'm destined not to know. In any case, I will always mind my
    > > manners - just in case. (grin)
    > >

    > er... actually, I have no chromosomes, its not like that with me,
    > there is nothing wet about me... but seeing as you are so nice
    > like, I think you will find some good, probably *the best*, info
    > on z indexing at
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-z-index

    Thanks again. Time to quit hogging newsgroup space and go off and learn
    something. Later...

    Wyngs, Nov 2, 2007