    Is there something like this in python ?

    Ciao

    PaoloB

    PaoloB, Jan 13, 2007

  2. > I am searching for a python library for barcode recognition. We have

    http://www.google.com/search?q=barcode recognition python

    Daniel Nogradi, Jan 13, 2007

  3. PaoloB

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    "PaoloB" <> writes:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am searching for a python library for barcode recognition. We have
    > developed a rather complex application for document tracking and
    > document management in python/Zope, called PAFlow (www.paflow.it:
    > sorry, most of the information is in Italian...).
    >
    > As our project is completely free software, we will need a library that
    > is free software too.
    >
    > Is there something like this in python ?

    Sorry, but what do you mean by "barcode recognition"? A barcode reader
    already decodes the barcode and sends the decoded output. If it is one
    plugged in a keyboard port, for example, reading the barcode or typing the
    "message" is exactly the same thing.

    Or are you willing some kind of OCR to process the barcodes without a barcode
    reader (why having barcodes then?)?

    --
    Jorge Godoy <>

    Jorge Godoy, Jan 13, 2007
  4. PaoloB

    PaoloB Guest

    Jorge Godoy wrote:
    > "PaoloB" <> writes:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I am searching for a python library for barcode recognition. We have
    > > developed a rather complex application for document tracking and
    > > document management in python/Zope, called PAFlow (www.paflow.it:
    > > sorry, most of the information is in Italian...).
    > >
    > > As our project is completely free software, we will need a library that
    > > is free software too.
    > >
    > > Is there something like this in python ?

    > Sorry, but what do you mean by "barcode recognition"? A barcode reader
    > already decodes the barcode and sends the decoded output. If it is one
    > plugged in a keyboard port, for example, reading the barcode or typing the
    > "message" is exactly the same thing.
    >
    > Or are you willing some kind of OCR to process the barcodes without a barcode
    > reader (why having barcodes then?)?

    Hi Jorge,

    basically we are trying to do exactly this. Our process works as
    follows:

    - an operator receives a paper document, compiles a series of data on a
    computer form and produces a bar code stamp, that he puts on the
    document.

    - the document received during the day are put on a mass scanner. The
    documents are sent to a specific e-mail address;

    - the system reads the scanned documents, and based on the barcodes,
    associate the documents to the information already present on the
    system.

    So, yes, we have to make OCR for barcodes.

    Ciao

    PaoloB

    PaoloB, Jan 13, 2007