    this maybe - if any of you know how they have coded it would be nice).

    Cheers to all who offer assistance.

    , May 6, 2005

  2. syeates Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm trying to create my own RSS feed which will grab some headlines
    > from external sites and parse them into one xml document.

    The mistake you appear to be making is thinking that the tag soup
    people serve up as RSS is actually XML. Commonly it is not XML and
    even when it is the character encodings are often incorrect.
    However, software is available to do what you seem to want to be
    doing, check out the list at wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_aggregators

    cheers
    stuart

    syeates, May 9, 2005

    Thank you for the reply.

    While I read through that, I'll explain more fully what I want to be
    able to do. Basically there is a site which has latest news on it (but
    they have no <span class="rss:item"> tags). So what I need basically
    is to write/find a free script will will run through the html and
    retrieve all the head lines and export the data to an xml file that is
    RSS compliant.

    Hope this is a little clearer :).

    , May 9, 2005
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Thank you for the reply.
    >
    > While I read through that, I'll explain more fully what I want to be
    > able to do. Basically there is a site which has latest news on it (but
    > they have no <span class="rss:item"> tags). So what I need basically
    > is to write/find a free script will will run through the html and
    > retrieve all the head lines and export the data to an xml file that is
    > RSS compliant.

    If their HTML is static over time (ie it's generated automatically, and
    so is consistent even if corrupt), you may be able to use HTML Tidy to
    turn it into XHTML which can then be used by XSLT to extract the bits
    you want.

    Example: if the junk-HTML produced by the site is consistent to the stage
    that you know the headlines you want are always in the 15th, 17th, and 19th
    <P> elements in the 3rd <div>, then a scripted conversion to XHTML and a
    short XSLT file will let you extract the headlines and output them in the
    form you want.

    Tedious, clumsy, but it works.

    ///Peter
    &;top"