Basic question about WebServices and XWS-Security

Discussion in 'Java' started by T., Aug 10, 2005.

  1. T.

    T. Guest

    Hello,

    I actually hope this is a basic question, but I can't solve it:

    I have a WebService running on the AppServer and a standalone java client.
    The webservice has been deployed using the Deployment tool and it
    communicates with the client without any problem.

    I now want to add a UserName token to each message, using XWS-Security.
    Like in the tutorial, I created an xml-file for the client and the
    server. That xml-file says to include a Username token and says wich
    class is the CallbackHandler (the class that looks up or validates the
    username and pass).

    This works at the client side... but how do I include this at serverside?
    The way I construct a webservice, I only use wscompile (where you enable
    the -security-option) to create the wsdl-file and the mapping-file (as
    described in the J2EE-tutorial). But this way the server doesn't even
    seem to notice that there is a security configuration (not understood
    fault).

    Do I have to enable something in deploytool? Do I have to use an other
    method?
    The JWSDP-tutorial follows an other way to create the webservice (using
    asant-tasks), but I'd really like to use deploytool for this.

    Any help? The deadline for this project is getting very close...

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomas
    T., Aug 10, 2005

  2. T.

    T. Guest

    T. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I actually hope this is a basic question, but I can't solve it:
    >
    > I have a WebService running on the AppServer and a standalone java client.
    > The webservice has been deployed using the Deployment tool and it
    > communicates with the client without any problem.
    >
    > I now want to add a UserName token to each message, using XWS-Security.
    > Like in the tutorial, I created an xml-file for the client and the
    > server. That xml-file says to include a Username token and says wich
    > class is the CallbackHandler (the class that looks up or validates the
    > username and pass).

    I have found the solution myself. It seams that it's impossible to use
    the regular deploytool method to create a webservice with XWS-security.
    Instead you have to make a raw war and a deployable war using wsdeploy
    (as described in the JWSDP-tutorial, simple sample). Afterwards you can
    still load the created war in deploytool to add more options.

    Hope maybe this helps someone who's experiencing the same problems.

    Thomas
    T., Aug 14, 2005