basic site file org/structure

BobF

<given>
When starting a new AJAX Control enabled site, a set of files are created.
These are created -without- a master page.
</given>

To add a master page, I've been adding the master via add-new-item.
However, there is no automajic addition of references etc. to already
existing forms.

Now I have a few options:

- I can rename Default and add a new form named Default checking 'Select
Master', then copy the AJAX stuff out of the original Default and paste into
the new.

- I can go the other way - add the master page structure to the original
Default manually.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as the end result is the same. It seems
really niggly either way ...

Here's the question: Does it make sense to move the AJAX
ToolKitScriptManager to the master page to make it available to all forms,
or should it be added to each form file separately?

Does it even matter?

bruce barker

it depends. the ajax library is a pretty heavy page hit and can slow down
page loads. if all your pages use it, then it makes sense to put it in the
master. if only a couple pages use the ajax library then only put on those
page. you can also have two master pages, one with and one without.

if its an intranet app bloat is probably ok, but if its an internat app,
then you have to worry about page size. with ajax and viewstate its easy to
get 1-2mb page loads which over a slow dsl may be a 20-30 second download. if
you have an internet site, turn viewstate off.

one trick is if the home page does not use ajax, it can load the script
files in the background so they are cached for the pages that actually need
them.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

BobF

Thanks, Bruce. I hadn't thought of the (now obvious) multi-master option.

Care to go a little deeper on the background load? Maybe a simplistic line
or two of code to get the idea across?

Thanks again!