    learning windows programming..

    Thanks in Advance.
    Preetham
    wink.co.nr, May 16, 2007

  2. * wink.co.nr:
    > Hi guys,
    > I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
    > I just learnt to make console programs..
    > I have many doubts.

    In English the last sentence would be "I have many questions"; see <url:
    http://www.tfd.com/doubt>.

    > 1. How to stream text, to files...

    Use e.g. std::eek:fstream. Or just output to std::cout and redirect the
    program's output. How to redirect depends on your operating system.

    > 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

    Off-topic in this newsgroup.

    > 3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
    > learning windows programming..

    Again, off-topic in this newsgroup. However, this group's FAQ lists
    some possibly relevant group. See the FAQ, e.g. at <url:
    http://new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq/> in Canada (the parashift.com
    server with the latest version seems to be down at the moment).

    Hth.,

    - Alf

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    Alf P. Steinbach, May 16, 2007

  3. wink.co.nr

    Jim Langston Guest

    "wink.co.nr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
    > I just learnt to make console programs..
    > I have many doubts.
    > 1. How to stream text, to files...

    Use ofstream. Such as:
    std::eek:fstream LogFile("ServerLog.log");
    LogFile << "Hello world!\n";

    Read up on ofstream and streams.

    > 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

    Off topic for this group. People who use OpenGL will say OpenGl is better.
    People who use DirectX would say DirectX is better.
    I would say, if you *only* plan on doing graphics for windows, DirectX seems
    to be easier to use for me. If you plan on *ever* writing graphic programs
    for other platforms (I.E. Linux) then OpenGL would be the way to go.

    > 3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
    > learning windows programming..

    Windows programming is OT. A windows newsgroup would be better for this
    question.
    Jim Langston, May 17, 2007
  4. wink.co.nr

    wink.co.nr Guest

    Thanks for your humble replies to my questions and also for the
    grammar lesson.

    wink.co.nr, May 17, 2007
  5. wink.co.nr

    BobR Guest

    Re: Basic Stuff [OT]

    Jim Langston <> wrote in message ...

    > > 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

    > Off topic for this group. People who use OpenGL will say OpenGl is

    better.
    > People who use DirectX would say DirectX is better.
    > I would say, if you *only* plan on doing graphics for windows, DirectX

    seems
    > to be easier to use for me. If you plan on *ever* writing graphic

    programs
    > for other platforms (I.E. Linux) then OpenGL would be the way to go.

    <OT>
    FYI: I've read several places that OpenGL is deprecated and now uses
    OpenMesa (or somesuch). On Debian, Mesa provides the libs for OpenGL
    programming (just install the packages, and no change needed in old
    programs. Mine all work without any change.).
    But, I may be misinformed, so, the ol' "grain of salt" applies here. <G>

    To OP: There is an NG for OpenGL/Mesa (and ms DirectX).

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie
    BobR, May 17, 2007