beginners question about layers / order of precedence.

Tim W

I am teaching myself this html / css lark for my own purposes, and
working slightly out of my depth as I edit the markup to adapt some cms
themes for myself. This is the question which I think is confusing me:

What determines the precedence of display when elements are 'layered'.
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called say
'container' it has another background colour and in that div I have
'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a logo
image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image, When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?

Tim W

Neil Gould

Tim said:
I am teaching myself this html / css lark for my own purposes, and
working slightly out of my depth as I edit the markup to adapt some
cms themes for myself. This is the question which I think is
confusing me:

What determines the precedence of display when elements are 'layered'.
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called
say 'container' it has another background colour and in that div I
have 'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a
logo image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image, When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?
It depends on what you don't understand about the results that you are
getting.

In CSS, layers are defined by their Z-Index. Typically, the higher the
number of the Z-Index, the closer to the "front" of the viewport... in other
words, a higher numbered layer will be placed "on top" of a layer with a
lower number. Is that not what you are seeing?

Rob W

Op 13-1-2012 10:51, Tim W schreef:
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called say
'container' it has another background colour and in that div I have
'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a logo
image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image, When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?

Tim W

None of this has anything to do with layers, as far as I can tell.

Having a container-div nested in body is pretty basic.
You don't have to give the container a z-index to show it.

Exactly the same about a header within the container. No z-index needed.

The text is just the content that's placed within the header-div. No
problem.

The only thing you may do wrong is getting the shadow applied to the text,
but we can't tell without the actual html- and css-code.

Do you have a URL for us?

Neil Gould

Jim said:
Typically, but not always, which has caused me some considerable
grief. Not making z-index an absolute depth was a poor design decision
IMO.
Although I'm inclined to agree with you, it is probably on a different basis
than the assignment of the z-index value, as there are other factors, some
that are browser-dependent, that could make it seem that the level is
failing when it is some other problem.

Are all of the graphic components in your test case defined as "display:
block;" (or inline-block, dependent on usage)?

Tim W

Op 13-1-2012 10:51, Tim W schreef:

None of this has anything to do with layers, as far as I can tell.

Having a container-div nested in body is pretty basic.
You don't have to give the container a z-index to show it.

Exactly the same about a header within the container. No z-index needed.

The text is just the content that's placed within the header-div. No
problem.

The only thing you may do wrong is getting the shadow applied to the
text,
but we can't tell without the actual html- and css-code.

Do you have a URL for us?
No, you are right, I shopuldn't have used that term it isn't about
layers, but about normal nesting of divs.

I am going to have trouble explaining what I don't understand so let me
look again and come back to you. I can't give you a url because I am
working locally on Wampserver and even if I could I don't know if you
can see the html of a cms theme can you?

Tim W

Rob W

Op 13-1-2012 19:00, Tim W schreef:
No, you are right, I shopuldn't have used that term it isn't about
layers, but about normal nesting of divs.

I am going to have trouble explaining what I don't understand so let me
look again and come back to you. I can't give you a url because I am
working locally on Wampserver and even if I could I don't know if you
can see the html of a cms theme can you?

Tim W

HTML code can always be seen.

cwdjrxyz

I am teaching myself this html / css lark for my own purposes, and
working slightly out of my depth as I edit the markup to adapt some cms
themes for myself. This is the question which I think is confusing me:

What determines the precedence of display when elements are 'layered'.
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called say
'container' it has another background colour and in that div I have
'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a logo
image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image,  When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?

You have had several useful replies, but I thought I will mention that
"layers" has a well-defined technical meaning in the old Netscape
browsers of the 4 era at the height of the browser wars. Not as much
CSS was used back then as now, but Javascript was very much used. IE
used "document.all" while Netscape used "layers" while today
"getElementByID" is understood by all modern browsers capable of
Javascript that I have seen. There might still be a few very old pages
around (especially those that use dhtml effects) that have script
using "layers", but most of these will also have a "document.all" path
to be viewed on IE browsers. During the transition to modern
"getElementById", some old pages also included paths for this, and
having to write 3 versions of script was a real pain.

Gus Richter

I am teaching myself this html / css lark for my own purposes, and
working slightly out of my depth as I edit the markup to adapt some cms
themes for myself. This is the question which I think is confusing me:

What determines the precedence of display when elements are 'layered'.
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called say
'container' it has another background colour and in that div I have
'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a logo
image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image, When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?

<http://www.bbd.com/stylin/the_files/box_model.png>
A missing note in the image is that margin and padding are transparent.

As far as your requirements listed are concerned, further down in the
'box model image' you would find in this order:
header background, div.container background and body background (the
furthest).

Layering is an acceptable term here. It is regarding "automatic
layering" as opposed to "altered layering" with z-index.
Automatic Layering occurs in order of appearance within the source
document. The nearest to the eye is the last in the source document.
Z-index is used to change the automatic layering of a positioned element.

<http://tinyurl.com/6nhz37q>
Is a demo of your stated requirements. It uses automatic layering only -
no altered layer reordering with z-index, since it is not needed here.

dorayme

Tim W said:
I am teaching myself this html / css lark for my own purposes, and
working slightly out of my depth as I edit the markup to adapt some cms
themes for myself. This is the question which I think is confusing me:

What determines the precedence of display when elements are 'layered'.
So If I give the 'body' a background colour, then have a div called say
'container' it has another background colour and in that div I have
'header' with a background image and over that I want to put a logo
image or text, or I get the text in place and I want to give it a
'shadow' to make it stand out against the image, When I try this I am
getting results (or more often not) which I don't understand. Am I
missing some basic knowledge?

Part One.

There are two dimensional aspects (the xing and yang of it) and
there are third dimensional aspects (the zang of it). You want to
get a clearer picture of zang.

There are some very basic things which any practical website
maker needs to understand well and there are more complex things
which they don't absolutely need to master completely though they
need to be able to have a level of awareness that allows them to
experiment intelligently a bit when unexpected things happen.

Very basic first. Suppose you have a document that contains no
floats or absolute positioning, all your elements, at least all
your boxes are 'position: static;' This is the 'initial' value of
position, a default, authors rarely need to actually state
'position: static;'. All your elements are flowed by the browsers
according to whether they are inline (usually left to right,
wrapping when space runs out) or block (down the page, one under
the other).

In this environment think of elements as if they are transparent
rectangular glass plates on which is text and further elements
like the IMG. If there is just a DIV in BODY and it has some
width and height and nothing else, you would not see it at all.

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/skullduggery/transparentDiv.html>

What you see is BODY's pale green bg colour through the glass
plate of DIV.

HTML and BODY are a little more complex, more mysterious and
unhappily related in some ways, there seems to be some rivalry,
tension, bad blood between them which I won't go into right here.

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/skullduggery/html_robs_body.html>

If you give HTML a bg colour and even a bg image, the stealing by
HTML stops! HTML is then happy and you can give BODY a bg colour
and even a bg image of its own:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/skullduggery/to_each_its_own.html
It is probably unlikely they are ever *both* transparent - you
can *never* see the electronics in your monitor through these
last two and certainly not a cat sitting behind the monitor even
if the monitor has a glass back. I have conducted experiments and
you simply cannot do this, no matter how compliant the cat is to
sit still. It is possible there is a third mysterious factor in
all this, the quiet and unassuming VIEWPORT. Perhaps it is the
VIEWPORT which has a painted surface and both BODY and HTML can
be transparent. But let us shelve this possibility for now.

In the environment of elements not absolutely positioned or
floated, everything being in the flow, laid out according to the
order of the family tree in the html document, you should have
little trouble in understanding the zang of it, elements are
either transparent and you see the parent, or if the parent is
transparent, you see the grandparent and so on. Real painting of
bg occurs for all but BODY/HTML/VIEWPORT *only when authors
assign background stuff*, otherwise they remain transparent.

Now, it gets more complicated when considering positioned
elements or floats in the mix. We then have to talk stacking
contexts and how to manipulate such stacks. But within such
stacks, my above might be helpful?

------

Part 2 might come depending...

But the cricket is on you know and Australia is creaming the
Indians.

Gus Richter

<http://www.bbd.com/stylin/the_files/box_model.png>
A missing note in the image is that margin and padding are transparent.

As far as your requirements listed are concerned, further down in the
'box model image' you would find in this order:
header background, div.container background and body background (the
furthest).

Layering is an acceptable term here. It is regarding "automatic
layering" as opposed to "altered layering" with z-index.

If z-index is not set, the default is: z-index:auto
Automatic Layering occurs in order of appearance within the source
document. The nearest to the eye is the last in the source document.
Z-index is used to change the automatic layering of a positioned element.

<http://tinyurl.com/6nhz37q>
Is a demo of your stated requirements. It uses automatic layering only -
no altered layer reordering with z-index, since it is not needed here.

Just to complete what I wrote regarding the notion of layering which is
facilitated in CSS by the z-index property.

Tim W

<http://www.bbd.com/stylin/the_files/box_model.png>
A missing note in the image is that margin and padding are transparent.

As far as your requirements listed are concerned, further down in the
'box model image' you would find in this order:
header background, div.container background and body background (the
furthest).

Layering is an acceptable term here. It is regarding "automatic
layering" as opposed to "altered layering" with z-index.
Automatic Layering occurs in order of appearance within the source
document. The nearest to the eye is the last in the source document.
Z-index is used to change the automatic layering of a positioned element.

<http://tinyurl.com/6nhz37q>
Is a demo of your stated requirements. It uses automatic layering only
- no altered layer reordering with z-index, since it is not needed here.
Thanks, you and the other guys too. Really useful replies. I have pretty
much resolved my problems with stuff that didn't appear as expected now
by head scratching, experimenting and a late night with an open manual.

I now have just one outstanding problem which relates to text wrapping
incorrectly around a div which is floated right then shifted vertically with

{position: relative;
top: -80px}

I will be uploading it in the next few days so I will ask in a new
thread then if it isn't resolved.

Tim W