    learn EJB?

    Thanks Much

    Nagendra
    Nagu, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Nagu

    Ann Guest

    "Nagu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have interests to pursue career in components development (EJB ).
    > Where do I start. I have good knowledge about JAVA language but not on
    > any other J2EE or J2Se technologies? What are the prerequisites to
    > learn EJB?
    >
    > Thanks Much
    >
    > Nagendra

    I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?
    Ann, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Ann wrote:
    > I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?

    As in "nobody cares for it anymore"? Definitely not. There isn't
    really anything that supersedes it.

    Quite, the opposite, actually: the new EJB 3.0 spec is considered
    a big improvement. The thing is that EJBs are not for everyone: they
    add a lot of overhead (both in development and performance-wise),
    and most applications don't actually need the "value added" they
    provide. This has become more common knowledge than it used to
    be, when EJBs were hyped relentlessly. There are a lot of people
    who bought into the hpye and were disappointed with the results
    because EJBs were simply not the right tool for their problem.
    Michael Borgwardt, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Nagu wrote:

    > I have interests to pursue career in components development (EJB ).
    > Where do I start. I have good knowledge about JAVA language but not on
    > any other J2EE or J2Se technologies? What are the prerequisites to
    > learn EJB?

    Start off by using a good text reference. I recommend _Enterprise Java
    Beans_ from O'Reilly, along with a copy of Eclipse, JBoss and JBoss-IDE.
    Those together make for an excellent learning environment.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my webpage: <http://mcpierce.multiply.com>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Ann wrote:

    > I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?

    I heard that FUD in Java newsgroups is now "old hat". Can anyone confirm?

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Ann wrote:
    > "Nagu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello All,
    >>
    >>I have interests to pursue career in components development (EJB ).
    >>Where do I start. I have good knowledge about JAVA language but not on
    >>any other J2EE or J2Se technologies? What are the prerequisites to
    >>learn EJB?
    >>
    >>Thanks Much
    >>
    >>Nagendra
    >>

    > I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?

    EJB 2.x is certainly awful in a lot of ways. As has been mentioned, 3.0
    should take away a lot of the pain, and I'm really looking forward to it!
    Collin VanDyck, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Nagu

    Ann Guest

    "Darryl L. Pierce" <> wrote in message
    > Ann wrote:
    >
    > > I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?

    > I heard that FUD in Java newsgroups is now "old hat". Can anyone confirm?

    Good one, made me smile ;-)

    Ann, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Ann wrote:

    >>>I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?

    >>I heard that FUD in Java newsgroups is now "old hat". Can anyone confirm?

    > Good one, made me smile ;-)

    Right back atcha, missus.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Collin VanDyck wrote:

    >> I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?
    >>

    > EJB 2.x is certainly awful in a lot of ways. As has been mentioned, 3.0
    > should take away a lot of the pain, and I'm really looking forward to it!

    What, specifically, would you consider to be painful about 2.x?
    Especially with 2.1, I find it to be a breath of very useful fresh air.
    1.x was painful, sure, but 2.x has been quite useful and IMO powerful a
    tool to use.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Nagu

    Don Conrad Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Nagu wrote:
    >
    >> I have interests to pursue career in components development (EJB ).
    >> Where do I start. I have good knowledge about JAVA language but not on
    >> any other J2EE or J2Se technologies? What are the prerequisites to
    >> learn EJB?

    > Start off by using a good text reference. I recommend _Enterprise Java
    > Beans_ from O'Reilly, along with a copy of Eclipse, JBoss and JBoss-IDE.
    > Those together make for an excellent learning environment.

    What about using MyEclipse to get the J2EE support?
    Don Conrad, Dec 3, 2004
  11. Don Conrad wrote:
    >>> I have interests to pursue career in components development (EJB ).
    >>> Where do I start. I have good knowledge about JAVA language but not on
    >>> any other J2EE or J2Se technologies? What are the prerequisites to
    >>> learn EJB?

    >> Start off by using a good text reference. I recommend _Enterprise Java
    >> Beans_ from O'Reilly, along with a copy of Eclipse, JBoss and
    >> JBoss-IDE. Those together make for an excellent learning environment.

    > What about using MyEclipse to get the J2EE support?

    I've never used it. What does it offer the JBoss-IDE doesn't?

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 4, 2004
  12. Nagu

    Nagu Guest

    Thanks everyone for the advice.

    Nagendra
    Nagu, Dec 4, 2004
  13. Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Collin VanDyck wrote:
    >
    >>> I heard a rumor that EJB is now "old hat." Can anyone confirm?
    >>>

    >> EJB 2.x is certainly awful in a lot of ways. As has been mentioned,
    >> 3.0 should take away a lot of the pain, and I'm really looking forward
    >> to it!

    > What, specifically, would you consider to be painful about 2.x?
    > Especially with 2.1, I find it to be a breath of very useful fresh air.
    > 1.x was painful, sure, but 2.x has been quite useful and IMO powerful a
    > tool to use.

    I was not around for 1.x, and with regards to 2.x the home/remote stubs,
    interface implementation, etc.. In other words, I think working with a
    Hibernate-esque solution for persistence seems like a lot easier way of
    working with EJB.
    Collin VanDyck, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Collin VanDyck wrote:
    >> What, specifically, would you consider to be painful about 2.x?
    >> Especially with 2.1, I find it to be a breath of very useful fresh
    >> air. 1.x was painful, sure, but 2.x has been quite useful and IMO
    >> powerful a tool to use.

    > I was not around for 1.x, and with regards to 2.x the home/remote stubs,
    > interface implementation, etc..

    What way would you define, then, for working with a remote object?

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 6, 2004
  15. Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > Collin VanDyck wrote:
    >
    >>> What, specifically, would you consider to be painful about 2.x?
    >>> Especially with 2.1, I find it to be a breath of very useful fresh
    >>> air. 1.x was painful, sure, but 2.x has been quite useful and IMO
    >>> powerful a tool to use.

    >> I was not around for 1.x, and with regards to 2.x the home/remote
    >> stubs, interface implementation, etc..

    > What way would you define, then, for working with a remote object?

    I did not say that I know of a better way. From what I understand 3.0
    will be much simpler.
    Collin VanDyck, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Collin VanDyck wrote:

    >>> I was not around for 1.x, and with regards to 2.x the home/remote
    >>> stubs, interface implementation, etc..

    >> What way would you define, then, for working with a remote object?

    > I did not say that I know of a better way. From what I understand 3.0
    > will be much simpler.

    How will 3.0 make working with remote objects easier? Sorry to ask so
    many questions, but from where I stand the way the EJB 2.x specification
    works is quite nice and efficient. It hides the actual creation of the
    EJB reference while giving a clean representation of the business
    methods of the remote object to the client. From the client's
    perspective, you cannot tell that you're dealing with a remote object.
    So, when I hear someone calling that "painful" it makes me wonder how
    they would do things differently to alleviate that pain...

    Darryl L. Pierce, Dec 7, 2004
  17. Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
    > How will 3.0 make working with remote objects easier? Sorry to ask so
    > many questions, but from where I stand the way the EJB 2.x specification
    > works is quite nice and efficient. It hides the actual creation of the
    > EJB reference while giving a clean representation of the business
    > methods of the remote object to the client. From the client's
    > perspective, you cannot tell that you're dealing with a remote object.
    > So, when I hear someone calling that "painful" it makes me wonder how
    > they would do things differently to alleviate that pain...

    The pain is not in the client code, but in the bean code. EJB 3.0 removes most
    of the horrible redundancies by making use of the metadata annotation introduced
    in Java 1.5:

    http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/ejb3/tutorial/cmp-basic-field/index.xtp

    ------------------
    The EJB 3.0 draft is primarily a process of removing features superfluous to supporting
    persistent objects.

    * No home interfaces
    * No local interfaces
    * No instance pooling
    * No special create or remove methods
    * No special find or select methods
    * Deployment descriptor is optional

    EJB 3.0 relies on JDK 1.5 annotations to configure entities in a maintainable,
    self-documenting way.

    * Only one Java class needed per table (no interface needed)
    * Annotation per field
    * Annotation directly in Java class
    * Direct java instance (no proxy or stub needed)
    Michael Borgwardt, Dec 8, 2004