Best advanced books

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

What's the best book for reading up on the standard library, with
sample usages and the like? I read a book a few years ago by a guy
called "Andrei" that was pretty good, but I just want to check if it's
been surpassed in recent years.

Is there any book that includes the new stuff that's coming in with
the next C++ Standard?

Is Bjarne Stroustrup's book still the main book for the language
itself?

Victor Bazarov

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
What's the best book for reading up on the standard library, with
sample usages and the like?

Nicolai Josuttis, "The C++ Standard Library".
I read a book a few years ago by a guy
called "Andrei" that was pretty good, but I just want to check if it's
been surpassed in recent years.

You're probably confusing several books in one memory of yours.
Is there any book that includes the new stuff that's coming in with
the next C++ Standard?

IIRC, Pete Becker recently published "The C++ Standard Library
Extensions". Look it up.
Is Bjarne Stroustrup's book still the main book for the language
itself?

Yes. There are others that aren't as detailed in some areas, and
still can be used as the manual on the language itself. Visit the
www.accu.org (the book review section) and browse the "recommended"
ones.

Jeff Schwab

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
> What's the best book for reading up on the standard library, with
> sample usages and the like?

Some classics:

http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/
http://www.amazon.com/Stl-Tutorial-Reference-Guide-Addison-Wesley/dp/0201633981
http://www.amazon.com/Effective-STL-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Computing/dp/0201749629
> I read a book a few years ago by a guy
> called "Andrei" that was pretty good, but I just want to check if it's
> been surpassed in recent years.

Are you thinking of Modern C++ Design? :)
> Is there any book that includes the new stuff that's coming in with
> the next C++ Standard?

I'm currently reading C++ Template Metaprogramming; it is in a similar
vein. Andrei's book is still great, but the modern Boost MPL is a good
deal more extensive than Loki. Some new support for generic has been
added to the proposed C++09 standard, as well.

http://www.boost-consulting.com/mplbook/

For completeness, a good foundation for using templates effectively:

http://www.josuttis.com/tmplbook/index.html
> Is Bjarne Stroustrup's book still the main book for the language
> itself?

As far as I know, yes.

tommy.hinks

Some classics:

http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/htt...fective-STL-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Compu...

Are you thinking of Modern C++ Design? :)

I'm currently reading C++ Template Metaprogramming; it is in a similar
vein. Andrei's book is still great, but the modern Boost MPL is a good
deal more extensive than Loki. Some new support for generic has been
added to the proposed C++09 standard, as well.

http://www.boost-consulting.com/mplbook/

For completeness, a good foundation for using templates effectively:

http://www.josuttis.com/tmplbook/index.html

As far as I know, yes.

If you are developing games I can recommend "C++ for Game Programmers"
by Michael J. Dickheiser. It has a few nice tricks that are very
useful in the field. It is not as correct and robust as the Effective
series by Scott Meyers but the methods and practices described are
well worth knowing about.

I also found "Exceptional C++" by Herb Sutter a valuable resource
because of its abundance of examples.

Erik Wikström

Tom疽 モ hノilidhe wrote:

IIRC, Pete Becker recently published "The C++ Standard Library
Extensions". Look it up.

I think it only covers the TR1 parts though. For the rest you will have
to wait until the standard is done, and probably a while longer after that.

Pete Becker

I think it only covers the TR1 parts though.

That's right. Further, the special math functions from TR1 aren't going
into the standard; they'll be in their own standard of some sort, later
on. And the random number stuff from TR1 has been completely rewritten
for C++0x.
For the rest you will have
to wait until the standard is done, and probably a while longer after that.

Yup. Aside from the changes to the TR1 stuff, there's a threading
library in the works, possible enhanced support for date and time
manipulations (to support timed sleeps, etc. in the threading library),
and some significant changes to how containers use allocators. New
language features like concepts and variadic argument lists for
templates will also change the look of the library, although if we do
it right these won't affect how you use the library.