Advanced Python books?

kj

I have read a couple of "learn Python"-type books, and now I'm
looking for some more advanced books on Python, something analogous
to "Effective Java" or "High-Order Perl". I've only been able to
find "Advanced Python 3 Programming Techniques", which, as far as
I can tell, is only available as a "Kindle Book". (Since I won't
be buying a Kindle for another few decades, this is not an option
for me.)

I tried out "Dive into Python", because I was told that it was
written for people with prior programming experience. It's an OK
book, but I don't find that it is much more advanced than pretty
much any other "learn Python" book I've seen.

Basically I'm looking for a book that assumes that one has the
basics of the language down, and instead focuses on standard problems
of software development, such as application architecture and
design, prototyping, debugging, profiling and performance-tuning,
testing, packaging/distribution, extending/embedding, threading
and IPC, persistence, etc., and on various prototypical cases such
as command-line utilities, GUI-apps, webapps, database-backed apps,
simulations, etc.

Granted, it is unlikely that a single book will do justice to all
these areas, but these are the topics I'm now interested in, from
the perspective of Python.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

UrsusMaximus

You might try Expert Python Programming by Tarek Ziadé. It is a
relatively recent book aimed at "experts". There are several reviews
of the book linked to from <a href="http://www.awaretek.com/
book.html">this page</a>.

Ron

python

Take a look at "Text Processing In Python" by David Mertz. This book
doesn't cover all your requirements, but its a well-written book that is
more comprehensive than its title might indicate.

There's also a free version of this book online.

Malcolm

Mike Driscoll

[...]

Hetland's book, "Beginning Python" has a bunch of projects at the end.
It also has a chapter on testing, network programming, extending
python, packaging and more. They're not in depth, but they give you a
taste.

Lutz's "Programming Python" has some pretty in depth projects using
Tkinter. You might find the Python Cookbook helpful or you could just
look at ActiveState's cookbook which is what the book was based on:
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/

- Mike

Thomas Guettler

kj said:
I have read a couple of "learn Python"-type books, and now I'm
looking for some more advanced books on Python, ....
Basically I'm looking for a book that assumes that one has the
basics of the language down, and instead focuses on standard problems
of software development, such as application architecture and
design, prototyping, debugging, profiling and performance-tuning,
testing, packaging/distribution, extending/embedding, threading
and IPC, persistence, etc., and on various prototypical cases such
as command-line utilities, GUI-apps, webapps, database-backed apps,
simulations, etc.

I think there is no such book. Maybe the Python Cookbook comes near.

webapps: I use django, other use turbogears, other even different stuff...
There are several books about e.g. django. It would be hard to
put all the magic of all web apps into one chapter.

GUI-apps: You can use tkinter, qt or gtk.... again it would be hard
to put something useable into one chapter.

Thomas