    good :)

    Thank you,
    Ray
    Ray, Jan 27, 2007

  2. On 26 Jan 2007 19:19:08 -0800, "Ray" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
    >recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
    >everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
    >example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
    >good :)
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Ray

    I think this is because the C++ standard does not address multithreading in
    any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
    "volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
    instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.

    Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
    there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
    for example).

    -dr
    Dave Rahardja, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    On Jan 27, 3:25 pm, Dave Rahardja <> wrote:
    I think this is because the C++ standard does not address
    multithreading in
    > any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
    > "volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
    > instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.
    >
    > Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
    > there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
    > for example).

    Thanks Dave. So do you have any books to recommend?

    Ray, Jan 27, 2007
  4. On 26 Jan 2007 23:42:10 -0800, "Ray" <> wrote:

    >On Jan 27, 3:25 pm, Dave Rahardja <> wrote:
    >I think this is because the C++ standard does not address
    >multithreading in
    >> any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
    >> "volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
    >> instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.
    >>
    >> Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
    >> there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
    >> for example).

    >Thanks Dave. So do you have any books to recommend?

    Nope!
    Dave Rahardja, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Ray

    peter koch Guest

    Ray skrev:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
    > recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
    > everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
    > example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
    > good :)
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Ray

    As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
    book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
    multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
    When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
    to use those ideas using your library of choice.
    I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

    /Peter
    peter koch, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Ray

    Ray Guest

    On Jan 27, 7:57 pm, "peter koch" <> wrote:
    > > Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you

    > As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
    > book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
    > multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
    > When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
    > to use those ideas using your library of choice.
    > I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

    Many thanks, Peter!

    Ray

    Ray, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Ray

    Guest

    On Jan 26, 10:19 pm, "Ray" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
    > recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
    > everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
    > example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
    > good :)
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Ray

    Search this newsgroup - I remember a previous posting about this.

    But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
    is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.

    But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
    and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
    code.
    , Jan 28, 2007
  8. Ray

    Ray Guest

    On Jan 28, 12:14 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
    > is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.
    >
    > But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
    > and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
    > code.

    Excellent! Many thanks! I'll look for the book.

    Cheers
    Ray
    Ray, Jan 28, 2007