Best C++ Multithreading Book?

Ray

Hello,

Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
good :)

Thank you,
Ray

Dave Rahardja

Hello,

Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
good :)

Thank you,
Ray

I think this is because the C++ standard does not address multithreading in
any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
"volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.

Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
for example).

-dr

Ray

I think this is because the C++ standard does not address
multithreading in
any way. The nearest concession to concurrency is the presence of the
"volatile" keyword. No facility is specified to create multiple stacks, for
instance, or to instantiate or synchronize threads.

Multithreading in C++ is almost entirely implementation-dependent, although
there are efforts to encapsulate multithreading behavior (see boost.threads
for example).

Thanks Dave. So do you have any books to recommend?

peter koch

Ray skrev:
Hello,

Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
good :)

Thank you,
Ray
As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
to use those ideas using your library of choice.
I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

/Peter

Ray

As noted in another post, there might well be no C++ multithreading
book available. My best advice would be to get a book about
multithreading in general - or perhaps about Posix multithreading.
When you know the basics of multithreading, it should not be difficult
to use those ideas using your library of choice.
I will recommend accu.org as a source of book reviews.

Many thanks, Peter!

Ray

AnonMail2005

Hello,

Greetings! I'm looking for a solid C++ multithreading book. Can you
recommend one? I don't think I've seen a multithreading C++ book that
everybody thinks is good (like Effective C++ or Exceptional C++, for
example). Platform-specific (e.g.: Win32, POSIX) is OK, as long as it's
good :)

Thank you,
Ray
Search this newsgroup - I remember a previous posting about this.

But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.

But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
code.

Ray

But the book Programming with POSIX Threads, by David R. Butenhof
is very good. It's in C and covers pthreads.

But leaving aside the pthread specifics, it covers concepts very well
and motivates them with good examples and, best of all, real working
code.

Excellent! Many thanks! I'll look for the book.

Cheers
Ray