Best graphics api for GUI?

BrianJones

Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily a
linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in
Java for a few years now (which is exceptionally easy, but perhaps only
because I'm used to it), I was wondering if there were any 'easier' (for
want of a better word) c++ gui apis one could consider?

Cheers,
Ben

Christopher Benson-Manica

BrianJones said:
Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily a
linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in
Java for a few years now (which is exceptionally easy, but perhaps only
because I'm used to it), I was wondering if there were any 'easier' (for
want of a better word) c++ gui apis one could consider?

Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Mark Marsella

BrianJones said:
Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily
a linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in
Java for a few years now (which is exceptionally easy, but perhaps only
because I'm used to it), I was wondering if there were any 'easier' (for
want of a better word) c++ gui apis one could consider?

Cheers,
Ben

The QT graphics toolkit uses C++ and has a great designer. It is used by
KDE.

Phlip

BrianJones said:
Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily a
linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in
Java for a few years now (which is exceptionally easy, but perhaps only
because I'm used to it), I was wondering if there were any 'easier' (for
want of a better word) c++ gui apis one could consider?

wxWindows is well maintained.

However, why C++? Why not a softer language, like Ruby, with higher odds of
helping you get something done rapidly, without all the low-level issues?