best laugh of the day

Travis Newbury

Then you don't know if they are doing OK either with the otherside of
the coin on percentage figures.

Absolutely, I don't. That's why I said its the part of the equation
"we" don't know. Only the company does. But I would guess that they
know all the things some think is wrong with their site.

I agree they "should" clean up the code a bit. I disagree that by doing
so they are guaranteed to see an improvement in sales.
So how can you say "it makes no difference if they lose 10, 20, even
50% of customers"? Not every hit to a site turns into a sale for that
site so you have to consider another set of averages. If their
conversion rate is lower than 50% ... then the company may hindering
its growth potential or turning a higher profit margin.

Potential customers. Their customers can already see their site. So if
the current site is working to grow the company at a sustainable rate.
Why would you change it?

There is also a good possibility they do want and need those customers
- based on the purpose of the site itself.

I totally agree. Only the company knows.
If someone purposefully
creates a site with the intention of promoting their business or
goods, I don't think they spent that time creating it while thinking
"well, I really don't need or want customers as a result of it".

Of course they don't. These people took time and made their site the
absolute best they could with the resources they had at the time. Now
they have a customer base, and a web site that may or may not need to be
fixed.

The code's done. They have a new decision to make. It is not "should
we make a site that is accessible to as many people as we can be" The
question now is "Is it wise to take resources from other money making
projects (their paying clients) to see a possible gain in traffic to the
web site." Because fixing the web site does not guarantee anything
other than the expense to fix something that was considered done. It
may not cost more to develop a web site that is accessible, but it is a
big expense to modify one that is already done.

Again only the company knows if it is worth it.
You are the only one speculating that the people behind the site could
not handle additional business - the others have been saying that the
site is potentially turning away customers but not for the reasoning
of "turning away customers if you can not handle the additional
business". There's a big difference.

And I agree the site has problems, (though not as drastic as some), What
I don't agree with is that they are guaranteed to see more traffic and
increase their sales by fixing them.
If a business sets up shop and has the only entrance to their store
being a doggie style door ... are they turning away business due to
'having enough already" or "limiting themselves" to only those who can
enter through the entry point provided by the shop?

If they found out the doggy door (which is 80 or 90 percent of the size
of the full size door by the way) was too small after they built it, Now
they have to make a bigger more costly decision. Is it cost effective
to spent the time, expense, and manpower in order to see possible gains
in a possible 10-20 percent of the viewers may or may not be able to
view the site.

Back to that company knows for sure thing.

Man we are on an analogy roller coaster aren't we...

Hywel Jenkins

... so none of these pages are indexable by Google, which is still the most
popular search engine in the world. So that means they're blocking traffic
to their site unnecessarily.

So what? As I said before, maybe they don't need that traffic, and
until you can determine that they *do* need it, your point it, well,
pointless.

Philip Ronan

Hywel said:
So what? As I said before, maybe they don't need that traffic, and
until you can determine that they *do* need it, your point it, well,
pointless.

Well I won't hammer on about this, but I honestly don't have a clue where
you're coming from.

P.S. You're probably just gonna LOVE this site: http://u235.com/