best practice for putting one picture of another

rf

Neal said:
To add to my rant ;)

If this same client asked his machine supplier to get something that ran
on house current but could do the job of a 240V machine, the supplier
would stop and say, hey, you really need a 240V machine to do what you
need to do, it'll be worth your while to install a 240 line and run the
baby off of that.

<grin/>

Over here in .au the house current *is* 240V :)

For Really Big Mothers we use 415V three phase.
Are you a pro or are you a hooker?

Surely that is a queston for the girls over at AWW.

Neal

Over here in .au the house current *is* 240V :)

For Really Big Mothers we use 415V three phase.

Man, you guys must make some fucking great TOAST!

/doesn't care, BoSox are making history

rf

WindAndWaves said:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/cemac/index1.html

(No external CSS. It's all in the head)

The exercise here is to minimise the HTML (subject to the odd hack required
for IE) and to re-write the CSS from the ground up. Not a hard exercise
given that there are only six lines of it, plus a couple of inline styles.
If it were not for the hacks required to make IE work it could be even
simpler.

I have purposely switched off the menu system as I was concerned only with
the content. It should be a simple matter to reinstall it but once again,
KISS. When you do you will of course make it degrade gracefully :)

Jeffrey Silverman

/doesn't care, BoSox are making history

My wife wants to try that, but I tell her it will make her face look
plasticy.

hmm...Oh, I see, "Sox". Never Mind.

Jeffrey Silverman

I have actually tried to make the text visible and would dearly love to do
so, but I do not have the technical ability to do so.

Please see www.cemac.co.nz/_dev/B2.index.html

As soon as I add more than about one sentence (using a DIV), the whole
bottom drops down with disastrous consequences for the look of the page...

This is an inherently broken design.

Why are you locked in to this fixed-width fixed-height design? This is not
a printed brochure!! I understand that it is at the behest of the client,
but, to go along with the rant in the thread that forked off a few posts
ago, *you* are the web designer, not the client. Tell them that in your
professional opinion, they are making a mistake by so tightly controlling
the design of the site.

A web page can have some fixed-size elements but should incorporate enough
fluidity to account for varying amounts of content. The web is NOT A
PRINTED PAGE!!!!

First off, I would dash the whole fixed-height box thing to pieces.

Then consider ways to lay out areas that will be able to contain varying
amounts of text.

Kris

PS the discrimination only applies to government pages and the like, as a
private business you can do what you want.

Nope. The Australian Olympic Comittee was not a goverment agency and they
lost and were fined quite a bit of money. $50,000 or so IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I recall the two parties settled before the verdict.

brucie

In alt.html Kris said:
$20k

I recall the two parties settled before the verdict.

nope.

Bruce Lindsay Maguire v. Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (Respondent)

access to services: web page access
http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/decisions/comdec/2000/DD000120.htm

damages
http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/decisions/comdec/2000/DD000200.htm

other complaint decisions
http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/decisions/decisions.html

Olympic Failure: A Case for Making the Web Accessible
http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/bat2001.html

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
Read up on the legislation, it's in the .gov.au sites somewhere.

<quote>
The Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC)
Section 67(1)(k) of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 ("the DDA")

2.2 Equal Access is Required by Law
The provision of information and online services through the Worldwide
Web is a service covered by the DDA. Equal access for people with a
disability in this area is required by the DDA where it can reasonably
be provided. This requirement applies to any individual or organisation
developing a Worldwide Web page in Australia, or placing or maintaining
a Web page on an Australian server. This includes pages developed or
maintained for purposes relating to employment; education; provision of
services including professional services, banking, insurance or
financial services, entertainment or recreation, telecommunications
services, public transport services, or government services; sale or
rental of real estate; sport; activities of voluntary associations; or
administration of Commonwealth laws or programs. All these are areas
specifically covered by the DDA.

In addition to these specific areas, provision of any other information
or other goods, services or facilities through the Internet is in itself
a service, and as such, discrimination in the provision of this service
is covered by the DDA. The DDA applies to services whether provided for
payment or not.
</quote> Copyright © Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.

World Wide Web Access: Disability Discrimination Act Advisory Notes
Version 3.2 August 2002
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/standards/www_3/www_3.html#s2_2

rf

Neal said:
Man, you guys must make some fucking great TOAST!

Toast? Waste electricity on toast? Nah, just go out and hold it in the sun
for a while.
/doesn't care, BoSox are making history

Er, what is a BoSox?

--
Cheers
Richard.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven brucie:
In alt.html Neal said:
[brucie:]
The American League baseball champs, that's all...

they named their champs after a nerve toxin?

No, are you thinking of botox? The BoSox are the Boston Red Sox
baseball team; Boston, Massachusetts.

rf

brucie
In alt.html Neal said:

they named their champs after a nerve toxin?

I'd be pretty bloody nervous too if somebody was throwing a white spherical
object toward me at those speeds and all I had to defend myself with was a
stick. Not even a pointy one at that.

And if you do happen to defend yourself adequately all hell breaks loose.
You have to run very fast *towards* some bloke who by now has possession of
said sperical object so he can beat the shit out of you for sliding under
his boot, or is that in another one of their "games"?

Mark Parnell

I'd be pretty bloody nervous too if somebody was throwing a white spherical
object toward me at those speeds and all I had to defend myself with was a
stick. Not even a pointy one at that.

And if you do happen to defend yourself adequately all hell breaks loose.
You have to run very fast *towards* some bloke who by now has possession of
said sperical object so he can beat the shit out of you for sliding under
his boot, or is that in another one of their "games"?

No, that's the right game. They invented it because they were no good at
cricket (though that would be more interesting if the stick was pointy,
too). :)

Neal

Quoth the raven brucie:
In alt.html Neal said:
[brucie:]
Er, what is a BoSox?
The American League baseball champs, that's all...

they named their champs after a nerve toxin?

No, are you thinking of botox? The BoSox are the Boston Red Sox
baseball team; Boston, Massachusetts.

And just made history - first baseball team ever in American major leagues
to be in a post-season playoff, lose the first 3, and win 4 in a row to
take the whole shebang.

If they win the World Series (which I find an odd name, it's not the WHOLE
world after all), which they last did in 1918, they'll have broken a
suposed 'curse' placed on them (Google "curse of the Bambino" for more on
that). So yeah, it's pretty exciting on this side of the pond.

Sure ain't cricket, but we call it fun.

Karl Core

Mark Parnell said:
No, that's the right game. They invented it because they were no good at
cricket (though that would be more interesting if the stick was pointy,
too). :)

No good at cricket?!?!
Does the batter in a cricket game have to swing at a ball going 93 miles per
hour?!?

-Karl

Els

Karl said:
No good at cricket?!?!
Does the batter in a cricket game have to swing at a ball
going 93 miles per hour?!?

Doesn't cricket need a bit more precise directioning of the
ball than baseball?

Jeffrey Silverman

If they win the World Series (which I find an odd name, it's not the WHOLE
world after all), which they last did in 1918, they'll have broken a
suposed 'curse' placed on them (Google "curse of the Bambino" for more on
that). So yeah, it's pretty exciting on this side of the pond.

Sure ain't cricket, but we call it fun.

I'll say. I actually watched the *entire* game. Except for a coupla
minutes in the middle as baby Q spat up on me. But what a fantastic
series. I had to get $0.02US in on this one.

Neal

But what a fantastic
series. I had to get $0.02US in on this one.

I was living in Boston in '86. I saw the ball go through Buckner's legs.
We all were crestfallen. We were THAT close.

This year is gonna be different. I can feel it in my bones... no, that's
arthritis...