Best Practice Question

Josh

Hi,

We've been having a discussion on best practice here for referenced DLLs but
havn't come to a clear decision.

I recommended that when we reference a third party DLL (such as ItextSharp)
in an ASP.Net project, we create a folder called "Referenced DLLs" in the
project and add the DLLs into that folder and into the project, ensureing
that the BuildAction property for the file is set to None.

I think its a good idea because everything is in SourceSafe. and the project
becomes self contained.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Mike Labosh

I recommended that when we reference a third party DLL (such as
ItextSharp) in an ASP.Net project, we create a folder called "Referenced
DLLs" in the project and add the DLLs into that folder and into the
project, ensureing that the BuildAction property for the file is set to
None.

Why not just let the 3rd party dll's be copied to the bin folder like they
normally do?

--
Peace & happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCSD

"Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, I have
come to the conclusion that this new system SUCKS."
-- General Barringer, "War Games"

Josh

Why not just let the 3rd party dll's be copied to the bin folder like they
normally do?

They are.

The problem comes about when a developer goes on holiday and someone else
has to get the project from fresh out of sourcesafe, a "GetLatest" does not
get the DLLs.

Mike Labosh

Why not just let the 3rd party dll's be copied to the bin folder like
They are.

The problem comes about when a developer goes on holiday and someone else
has to get the project from fresh out of sourcesafe, a "GetLatest" does
not get the DLLs.

OOOHHHH!! I misunderstood your question.

What we do here, is that each developer's machine has the same folder that's
like your "referenced dll's" where we dump all of our shared common
assemblies.

Then when someone does a build, the project copies the referenced dll(s) to
its bin folder on the webserver. So it sounds like you're just fine.