    support for recent Python releases.

    Price is an issue, that's one reason I've been reluctant to use python
    for web-sites, hosting seems to be more expensive than with php.
    walterbyrd, Apr 9, 2006

  2. walterbyrd

    Guest

    , Apr 9, 2006

  3. walterbyrd

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Apr 9, 2006
  4. walterbyrd

    John Salerno Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > I don't need that much web space. I don't need Zope/Plone.
    >
    > But, I want a site that offers more than just CGI. And I would like
    > support for recent Python releases.
    >
    > Price is an issue, that's one reason I've been reluctant to use python
    > for web-sites, hosting seems to be more expensive than with php.

    I was testing out http://www.devisland.net/ and it's pretty nice. They
    installed the latest versions of Python, mod_python and mysqldb at my
    request, and support was good. Only real problem is it's too expensive
    for the space you get (about $5/month for 100MB), but you said space
    wasn't much of an issue.
    John Salerno, Apr 9, 2006
  5. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > I was testing out http://www.devisland.net/ and it's pretty nice. They
    > installed the latest versions of Python, mod_python and mysqldb at my
    > request, and support was good. Only real problem is it's too expensive
    > for the space you get (about $5/month for 100MB), but you said space
    > wasn't much of an issue.

    I have just discovered http://www.dollar-hosting.org/

    400mb hdd, and 5gm bandwith for $10/year. And they have mod_python.
    walterbyrd, Apr 11, 2006
  6. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    walterbyrd, Apr 11, 2006
  7. walterbyrd

    John Salerno Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:

    > And they have mod_python.

    You sure about that? I've learned to be skeptical, because a lot of
    hosts don't even seem to understand the difference between supporting
    "Python" (which in reality is just CGI for them) and mod_python. In
    fact, I've even been told that a host *does* have mod_python installed,
    and it took several emails to find out that, no, they really don't, they
    just support CGI.

    All I see on this site is "Python 2.3.4", no mention of mod_python. I
    have an email in to them to inquire, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    John Salerno, Apr 11, 2006
  8. On 9 Apr 2006 11:31:38 -0700, Steve <> wrote:
    > http://www.python-hosting.com/
    >
    > I haven't used them myself, but recent research that I did made them
    > look like good candidates.

    Python-Hosting.com is run by Remi Delon, author of CherryPy, so you'll
    be getting your support (should you need any) from someone who knows
    Python, and knows what he's talking about.

    And the control panel has to be seen to be believed. Setting up new
    Django, TurboGears or Zope applications is a point and click
    operation, taking seconds.

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B,
    Simon Brunning, Apr 11, 2006
  9. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    I emailed them, they say they have mod_python.
    walterbyrd, Apr 11, 2006
  10. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd, Apr 11, 2006
  11. walterbyrd

    John Salerno Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > walterbyrd wrote:
    >
    >> And they have mod_python.

    > You sure about that? I've learned to be skeptical, because a lot of
    > hosts don't even seem to understand the difference between supporting
    > "Python" (which in reality is just CGI for them) and mod_python. In
    > fact, I've even been told that a host *does* have mod_python installed,
    > and it took several emails to find out that, no, they really don't, they
    > just support CGI.
    >
    > All I see on this site is "Python 2.3.4", no mention of mod_python. I
    > have an email in to them to inquire, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

    Yes, you are right. After doing a little work to their server,
    mod_python seems to be installed/working! Very nice. I signed up for the
    $.50 plan just so I can have a little site to do some mod_python testing.

    Thanks for the recommendation.
    John Salerno, Apr 12, 2006
  12. walterbyrd

    John Salerno Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > I emailed them, they say they have mod_python.

    Hi. I was just wondering if you been able to use mod_python at Dollar
    Hosting. I'm having some trouble with it. The handlers don't seem to be
    set up correctly and I've been in contact with the administrators, but
    they aren't sure what to do either. How is it on your end?

    Thanks,
    John
    John Salerno, Apr 19, 2006