Best Python web-hosting?

walterbyrd

I don't need that much web space. I don't need Zope/Plone.

But, I want a site that offers more than just CGI. And I would like
support for recent Python releases.

Price is an issue, that's one reason I've been reluctant to use python
for web-sites, hosting seems to be more expensive than with php.

John Salerno

walterbyrd said:
I don't need that much web space. I don't need Zope/Plone.

But, I want a site that offers more than just CGI. And I would like
support for recent Python releases.

Price is an issue, that's one reason I've been reluctant to use python
for web-sites, hosting seems to be more expensive than with php.

I was testing out http://www.devisland.net/ and it's pretty nice. They
installed the latest versions of Python, mod_python and mysqldb at my
request, and support was good. Only real problem is it's too expensive
for the space you get (about $5/month for 100MB), but you said space
wasn't much of an issue.

walterbyrd

John said:
I was testing out http://www.devisland.net/ and it's pretty nice. They
installed the latest versions of Python, mod_python and mysqldb at my
request, and support was good. Only real problem is it's too expensive
for the space you get (about $5/month for 100MB), but you said space
wasn't much of an issue.

I have just discovered http://www.dollar-hosting.org/

400mb hdd, and 5gm bandwith for $10/year. And they have mod_python.

walterbyrd

John said:
I was testing out http://www.devisland.net/ and it's pretty nice. They
installed the latest versions of Python, mod_python and mysqldb at my
request, and support was good. Only real problem is it's too expensive
for the space you get (about $5/month for 100MB), but you said space
wasn't much of an issue.

I have just discovered http://www.dollar-hosting.org/

400mb hdd, and 5gm bandwith for $10/year. And they have mod_python.

John Salerno

walterbyrd said:
And they have mod_python.

You sure about that? I've learned to be skeptical, because a lot of
hosts don't even seem to understand the difference between supporting
"Python" (which in reality is just CGI for them) and mod_python. In
fact, I've even been told that a host *does* have mod_python installed,
and it took several emails to find out that, no, they really don't, they
just support CGI.

All I see on this site is "Python 2.3.4", no mention of mod_python. I
have an email in to them to inquire, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Simon Brunning

http://www.python-hosting.com/

I haven't used them myself, but recent research that I did made them
look like good candidates.

Python-Hosting.com is run by Remi Delon, author of CherryPy, so you'll
be getting your support (should you need any) from someone who knows
Python, and knows what he's talking about.

And the control panel has to be seen to be believed. Setting up new
Django, TurboGears or Zope applications is a point and click
operation, taking seconds.

John Salerno

John said:
You sure about that? I've learned to be skeptical, because a lot of
hosts don't even seem to understand the difference between supporting
"Python" (which in reality is just CGI for them) and mod_python. In
fact, I've even been told that a host *does* have mod_python installed,
and it took several emails to find out that, no, they really don't, they
just support CGI.

All I see on this site is "Python 2.3.4", no mention of mod_python. I
have an email in to them to inquire, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yes, you are right. After doing a little work to their server,
mod_python seems to be installed/working! Very nice. I signed up for the
$.50 plan just so I can have a little site to do some mod_python testing.

Thanks for the recommendation.

John Salerno

walterbyrd said:
I emailed them, they say they have mod_python.

Hi. I was just wondering if you been able to use mod_python at Dollar
Hosting. I'm having some trouble with it. The handlers don't seem to be
set up correctly and I've been in contact with the administrators, but
they aren't sure what to do either. How is it on your end?

Thanks,
John