Web Hosting

Sir Psycho

Hi,

With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
scripting?

I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
Java.

Thanks for your time,

metaperl

Sir said:
Hi,

With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support.

We support any and every thing Python and we are a not-for-profit
cooperative. Check us out:

http://www.HCOOP.net
irc://irc.freenode.org/#hcoop

Bruno Desthuilliers

Sir said:
Hi,

With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

It at least has to support a reasonable way to deploy an application
using the said framework - now what this implies depends on the choosen
framework.
Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
scripting?

It really depends on the ISP. You have to check on case by case basis.
I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
Java.

Things may get a bit more complicated when it comes to web applications.
FWIW, I'm not sure you can deploy any web applications in Java without a
(distinct, long-running process) application server... In the very worst
case, Python has at least CGI support (now why would anyone go for an
ISP that doesn't provide a better Python support is another question !-).

Jose C

With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

Check out http://webfaction.com... They have a one-click TurboGears
installation procedure (as well as some other frameworks) but you can
also install your own custom frameworks if they don't support it
directly.

HTH,