Best way to migrate website?

VB Programmer

I have a full shopping cart website that is in VS2003.

I want to create a BRAND NEW non-related website, now using VS2005. I'd
like to use all the shopping related pages/code from the original 2003 site.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Scott Allen

What I'd probably do, at this point in time, is make a copy of the
entire 2003 project, then open the new project in VS2005 so the
migration wizard can work it over.

VB Programmer

Copy copy/pasted the folder from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website1 (original 2003
version) to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website2 (to be the new 2005 version.) I
opened the sln file in website2 dir in 2005 and it ran the conversion
wizard. Then I went back to VS2003 and it wouldn't open the project in
website1 (unable to load project - I think was the error). Any ideas what I
did wrong? Thanks!

Otis Mukinfus

Copy copy/pasted the folder from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website1 (original 2003
version) to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\website2 (to be the new 2005 version.) I
opened the sln file in website2 dir in 2005 and it ran the conversion
wizard. Then I went back to VS2003 and it wouldn't open the project in
website1 (unable to load project - I think was the error). Any ideas what I
did wrong? Thanks!
[snip]

Did you check the Conversion error log? And (hopefully) did you tell
the wizard to make you a backup? I've never seen the conversion
wizard do a conversion without at least a few errors that need to be
worked out. That's probably what the trouble is.

Give this some thought; If your .NET 1.1 site is working why not also
make the new site a 1.1 site? .NET 1.1 sites and .net 2.0 sites can
run side by side. No need to re-invent the wheel to duplicate a site
that already works.

Otis Mukinfus
http://www.otismukinfus.com
http://www.tomchilders.com

VB Programmer

No errors in the conversion log.

The original site is 1.1. So, you recommend just creating the new site in
1.1? I just wanted to move to the newest technology.

Thanks!

Otis Mukinfus said:
[...]

Ugh - it must have read the website URL out of the .sln file and
converted the original.

It might be safer (um, next time when you try it [sorry about that])
to delete the sln file and project files, then do a File -> Open Web
Site in 2005. This will setup the copied project as a filesystem
project.

Does the site run under 2005?

VB Programmer

Thank God for backups! :) Thanks Scott.

I'll be more careful next time. For now, since everything works in 2003
I"ll not move to 2005, for new sites (for now).

Thanks y'all!