    Samuel Murray

    Alternatively, how can I tell Windows that it's *all*right* if the
    script wants to overwrite an existing file? :)

    Voetleuce, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Voetleuce

    Joe Smith Guest

    Voetleuce wrote:

    > Alternatively, how can I tell Windows that it's *all*right* if the
    > script wants to overwrite an existing file? :)

    Just use
    open(FH,">$filename") or die "Cannot write $filename - $!";

    But first, make sure that the file is not currently open by another
    process. On Windows, process "B" cannot overwrite an existing
    file if process "A" has it open for reading.
    -Joe

    P.S. This newsgroup is defunct; use comp.lang.perl.misc instead.

    Joe Smith, Sep 15, 2004