Bjarne Stroustrup speaks on a video about C++0x

Discussion in 'C++' started by crea, Mar 3, 2011.

  1. crea

    crea Guest

    crea, Mar 3, 2011

  2. crea

    SG Guest

    On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:

    > http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C 0x - An Overview.html
    > Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

    This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
    aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
    talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more up-
    to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
    100% sure about that.

    Cheers!
    SG

    SG, Mar 3, 2011

  3. crea

    crea Guest

    SG wrote:
    > On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:
    >>
    >> http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C 0x - An Overview.html
    >> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

    > This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
    > aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
    > talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
    > up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
    > 100% sure about that.

    Can you give the link?

    But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
    about compilers etc

    crea, Mar 3, 2011
  4. crea

    itaj sherman Guest

    On Mar 3, 12:31 pm, "crea" <> wrote:
    > SG wrote:
    > > On 3 Mrz., 11:04, crea wrote:

    > >>http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C 0x - An Overview.html
    > >> Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

    > > This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
    > > aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
    > > talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
    > > up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
    > > 100% sure about that.

    > Can you give the link?
    >
    > But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
    > about compilers etc

    Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
    cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

    itaj

    itaj sherman, Mar 3, 2011
  5. crea

    K4 Monk Guest

    On Mar 3, 3:53 pm, itaj sherman <> wrote:
    > On Mar 3, 12:31 pm, "crea" <> wrote:
    >

    > > SG wrote:

    > > > This appears to be an old talk -- judging by the abstract ("...we are
    > > > aiming for C++09..."). I'm sure you'll be able to find a more recent
    > > > talk video which nearly the same content but which is a little more
    > > > up- to-date. I think he gave one in switzerland last year. But I'm not
    > > > 100% sure about that.

    > > Can you give the link?

    > > But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
    > > about compilers etc

    > Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
    > cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.
    >
    > itaj

    I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
    wears the label

    "I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
    all the time.
    I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

    K4 Monk, Mar 6, 2011
  6. crea

    Qi Guest

    On 2011-3-3 18:04, crea wrote:
    > http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C 0x - An Overview.html
    >
    > Pretty nice video, and nice to see Bjarne live.

    Thanks for the sharing.
    I downloaded whole MPG (600M+) because I found BS' English
    is not difficult to understand and I can practice my listening :).

    --
    WQ

    Qi, Mar 7, 2011
  7. On Mar 6, 6:47 pm, K4 Monk <> wrote:
    > On Mar 3, 3:53 pm, itaj sherman <> wrote:

    > > > Can you give the link?

    > > > But it does not change the fact that his ideas are good. He speaks generally
    > > > about compilers etc

    > > Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
    > > cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

    > > itaj

    > I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
    > wears the label
    >
    > "I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
    > all the time.
    > I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

    How bizarre. From his books and talk and get completely the opposite
    impression: that he is a pragmatic and humble consensus builder. Can
    anyone who works with him personally, say on the committee, comment?

    KHD

    Keith H Duggar, Mar 8, 2011
  8. crea

    James Kanze Guest

    On Mar 8, 10:47 pm, Keith H Duggar <> wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 6:47 pm, K4 Monk <> wrote:

    > > > Yeah, if the old one includes "concepts" feature before it got
    > > > cancelled, it might actually be even better than the updated one.

    > > I get the feeling from his writings that he is a grouchy old man who
    > > wears the label

    > > "I INVENTED C++ DO YOU GET IT BITCHES IF NOT, I AM THE FATHER OF C++"
    > > all the time.
    > > I don't read the same arrogance in K&R

    > How bizarre. From his books and talk and get completely the opposite
    > impression: that he is a pragmatic and humble consensus builder. Can
    > anyone who works with him personally, say on the committee, comment?

    I've met him several times, and spoken with him personally, and
    your statement pretty much sums him up. Above all, he listens
    to others, and takes their ideas into consideration.

    --
    James Kanze

    James Kanze, Mar 9, 2011