    now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
    can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

    leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    klloyd, May 1, 2006

  2. On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:08:58 +0200, klloyd <> wrote:

    > http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
    > top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
    > flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
    > for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
    > now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
    > can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
    >
    > leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    Well, it could be one of the 37 errors in your markup
    <URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftest.springfieldparks.org%2Fversion07%2Fhome_new.html>

    --
    ______PretLetters:
    | weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |

    Barbara de Zoete, May 1, 2006

  3. klloyd

    Nije Nego Guest

    On 1 May 2006 14:08:58 -0700, klloyd wrote:

    > http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
    > top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
    > flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
    > for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
    > now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
    > can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
    >
    > leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    You have bigger and more important issues than "blank area". On my screen
    (images turned off) I see only search button.

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, May 1, 2006
  4. klloyd

    klloyd Guest

    Barbara:
    You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
    webpage you referred to. Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
    an image an error?? I went through the entire list of errors it shows
    and none of them are actual errors.

    Nije:
    Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
    everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
    is about. Thanks!

    klloyd, May 1, 2006
  5. klloyd

    Nije Nego Guest

    On 1 May 2006 14:55:11 -0700, klloyd wrote:

    > Nije:
    > Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
    > everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
    > is about. Thanks!

    You could find a preview here:
    http://www.bruno-s.net/temp/klloyd.png

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, May 1, 2006
  6. klloyd

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "klloyd" <> wrote:

    >Barbara:
    >You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
    >webpage you referred to.

    klloyd:
    You might want to quote the parts of the message you are responding
    to.

    Now, what do you suggest using to check HTML other than the validation
    service provided by the people who wrote the HTML specification?

    >Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
    >an image an error??

    Since 1997.

    >I went through the entire list of errors it shows
    >and none of them are actual errors.

    No, they are all errors. If you need any of them explained feel free
    to ask.

    >Nije:
    >Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
    >everything comes up fine

    Did you turn images off as Nije did when he tried your site?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, May 1, 2006
  7. On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:55:11 +0200, klloyd <> wrote:

    > Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
    > an image an error??
    >
    > Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
    > everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
    > is about. Thanks!

    Now, isn't this a cute combination of responses. Missing [alt] is no
    error, you think, but you fail to understand what a visitor whithout
    images gets to see if you don't set a value for the [alt] attribute for
    images that are content.

    BTW:
    <URL:http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
    <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
    <URL:http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you>

    Barbara de Zoete, May 1, 2006
  8. klloyd

    klloyd Guest

    Wow...obviously that screenshot is using Firefox but when I preview it
    with Firefox it comes up fine. That must be because you have images
    turned off. Most of the page at the moment is made up of images...the
    design structure of the page. There is no text content yet.

    klloyd, May 1, 2006
  9. klloyd

    klloyd Guest

    Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
    all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
    turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
    tables?

    klloyd, May 1, 2006
  10. klloyd

    Nije Nego Guest

    On 1 May 2006 15:14:33 -0700, klloyd wrote:

    > Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
    > all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
    > turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
    > tables?

    From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, May 1, 2006
  11. klloyd

    klloyd Guest

    >From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

    Even with images on?

    klloyd, May 1, 2006
  12. klloyd

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "klloyd" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
    > top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
    > flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
    > for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
    > now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
    > can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
    >
    > leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    Did some WYSIWYG editor produce that markup, or is it a very old template,
    perhaps? Anyway, I don't see the problem here (in either IE or FF.) The
    top jpeg goes right up to the top of the viewport.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 1, 2006
  13. klloyd

    Nije Nego Guest

    On 1 May 2006 15:21:31 -0700, klloyd wrote:

    >>From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

    > Even with images on?

    I have no interest in images.
    But when enabling them, I see no blank space on top
    http://www.bruno-s.net/temp/klloyd.jpg

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, May 1, 2006
  14. klloyd

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "klloyd" <> wrote:

    >Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
    >all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
    >turned off.

    You should be. Don't blind visitors come to your parks? Oh, and Google
    always has images turned off...

    >What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
    >tables?

    Please start quoting the parts of the message you are replying to. If
    you don't then people here will get fed up with you and start ignoring
    you.

    re: http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

    You are using non-standard proprietary extensions to HTML. That is why
    the validator is telling you that some of your attributes do not
    exist. The extensions you are using are a mix if Netscape 4 extensions
    and IE 4 extensions. And you are using an odd combination of the two
    (i.e. the Netscape extensions you use and the IE extensions you use do
    not do the same thing).

    Some modern browsers support various combinations of these for
    backwards compatability, but continued support in the future is not
    guaranteed. If you followed the advice given and fixed the validation
    errors in your HTML then you would be on the right path as you would
    need to replace these proprietary extensions with CSS which (as this
    doesn't involve any of the parts of CSS not supported by IE) is well
    supported today and tomorrow.

    Steve Pugh, May 1, 2006
  15. klloyd wrote:
    > I understand what you are all talking about but am not worried about
    > visitors who have images turned off.

    Not caring about your visitors is a good way to make sure no one here
    will want to help you.

    Leif K-Brooks, May 1, 2006
  16. klloyd

    Nije Nego Guest

    On 1 May 2006 14:08:58 -0700, klloyd wrote:

    > http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
    > top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
    > flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
    > for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
    > now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
    > can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
    >
    > leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    I see your problem in IE 6.
    You should add this to your head
    body {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;}

    Still think you have bigger issues than this.

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, May 1, 2006
  17. klloyd

    Jim Moe Guest

    klloyd wrote:
    > http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
    > top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
    > flush with the top of the window. [...]

    The only white area I see is above the banner image
    "springfieldParkDraftpsd_01.jpg". And the image is designed to have the
    white stripe above the people.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 2, 2006
  18. Jim Moe wrote:

    > klloyd wrote:
    >> http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html
    >>
    >> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at
    >> the top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're
    >> not flush with the top of the window. [...]
    >>

    > The only white area I see is above the banner image
    > "springfieldParkDraftpsd_01.jpg". And the image is designed to have
    > the white stripe above the people.

    Yes, there is a skinny white area at the top of that graphic. It is part
    of the graphic. <lol> There is no additional blank area.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2006
  19. [ start quoting properly as explained in the hyperlinks I provided ]

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:14:33 +0200, klloyd <> wrote:

    > Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
    > all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
    > turned off.

    That's a nice one. I had no idea your pages were just one big ego trip. In
    which case visitors do not matter indeed.

    > What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
    > tables?

    Why should I care to answer? You got far more valuable feed back on your
    pages then regarding this issue, and yet you choose to ignore that.
    You think this usenet newsgroup is some sort of helpdesk? Well, it isn't.
    <URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pr25ludwho5r$.1vroro2rvwbk$&output=gplain>

    Barbara de Zoete, May 2, 2006
  20. klloyd

    The One Guest

    > leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

    add this to the body tag:
    topmargin="0"

    --
    The One