Book recommendations for programmer

sw

I'm looking for book recommendations for learning Perl. I'm
comfortable with C/C++, Java, and Python, so I'm not looking for a
beginner book. My current reasons for learning Perl are to hack
together a few scripts to access a database, and possibly another
script to allow data entry over the web.

Trawling the FAQs and Deja, the most frequently recommended books seem
to be "Programming Perl" and "Learning Perl" - are those likely to
give me the information I need? Are there any other (newer?) books
which would be more suitable for what I'm trying to do?

Many thanks for any guidance - I know book recommendations are FAQs,
but the answers I've seen seem to be geared more towards
non-programmers.

David K. Wall

sw said:
I'm looking for book recommendations for learning Perl. I'm
comfortable with C/C++, Java, and Python, so I'm not looking for a
beginner book. My current reasons for learning Perl are to hack
together a few scripts to access a database, and possibly another
script to allow data entry over the web.

Trawling the FAQs and Deja, the most frequently recommended books seem
to be "Programming Perl" and "Learning Perl" - are those likely to
give me the information I need? Are there any other (newer?) books
which would be more suitable for what I'm trying to do?

Many thanks for any guidance - I know book recommendations are FAQs,
but the answers I've seen seem to be geared more towards
non-programmers.

http://learn.perl.org/
http://books.perl.org/

Paul Lalli

I'm looking for book recommendations for learning Perl. I'm
comfortable with C/C++, Java, and Python, so I'm not looking for a
beginner book. My current reasons for learning Perl are to hack
together a few scripts to access a database, and possibly another
script to allow data entry over the web.

Trawling the FAQs and Deja, the most frequently recommended books seem
to be "Programming Perl" and "Learning Perl" - are those likely to
give me the information I need? Are there any other (newer?) books
which would be more suitable for what I'm trying to do?

Many thanks for any guidance - I know book recommendations are FAQs,
but the answers I've seen seem to be geared more towards
non-programmers.

If you want to learn Perl, you want Learning Perl. If you want to apply
Perl for the two purposes you mentioned, you might want to try the Perl
Cookbook.

Check out http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfaq2.html#Perl-Books for
more suggetsions.

Paul Lalli

Randal L. Schwartz

Paul> If you want to learn Perl, you want Learning Perl. If you want to apply
Paul> Perl for the two purposes you mentioned, you might want to try the Perl
Paul> Cookbook.

And if you're using Perl for larger programs and want to continue in
the style of Learning Perl, check out Learning Perl Objects References
and Modules.

Don Stefani

sw said:
I'm looking for book recommendations for learning Perl.

I would recommend the latest Perl CD Bookshelf,..

It contains:

Perl in a Nutshell
Mastering Regular Expressions
Learning Perl
Programming Perl
Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules
Perl Cookbook 2nd ed.
+ A paperback version of Perl in a Nutshell

I purchased mine at bookpool.com
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/z8dxy93yz8/sm/0596006225

As a programming newbie I was also really helped by "Elements of Programming with Perl" by
Andrew L. Johnson.

With the above materials, PerlDocs and CPAN you'll have your hands full.

Side-note: I found a good use for my windows machine by installing activeperl and using
the HTML version of the Perldocs it comes with. It has everything categorized and linked.
It's pretty cool.

Then if you REALLY get stuck, you have this newsgroup and you can check out
'PerlMonks.org'. A very cool place indeed.

That's my two cents.

dstefani