Book Suggestions Please!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff Gaines, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I have had VS7 for about a year now and use C# mainly.
    The apps that I write are for my own use on the desktop so ASP/Web
    applications hold little interest for me. I tend to use the Win API a
    lot still but I suspect that there are better ways.

    I am looking for book(s) that give details of the various namespaces
    and the functionality within them (I know it's in the help but I can't
    read that in the bath) and especially any books that will ease the
    transition from the API to inbuilt functionality (assuming it's
    there). Books that show how to use the API for things like shell hooks
    and how to show the system context menu would be very much of
    interest.

    I liked the earlier Petzold books because they gave a complete
    breakdown of the API and also Appleman's book on VB6 and the API.

    I have I got Petzold's Programming Windows, Jesse Liberty's
    Programming C# and Mueller's .NET Framework Solutions. They look good
    on the face of it but are very basic once you get into them and really
    add nothing beyond the excellent help system in VS.Net.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated, those I have searched for
    usually end up being about writing Web apps rather than Windows Forms
    apps.

    Regards
    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Jeff Gaines

    William Ryan Guest

    That's a tall order my friend.... I just used a combination of
    DirectoryServices and Mueller's book to write a program to shut down all the
    computers of our networking people ---- and even though they got me back
    good, I can't help being starstruck with most of the content in John's book.
    <If anyone is interested, drop me a line and I'll send you my
    FunWithCoworkersInNetworking class ;-) >

    Petzold's book rocks (although it's not geared to your question per se) and
    Mueller's book is pretty darned good too. I'd recommend writing John...I
    have and he alwasy writes back immediately. He could only squeeze so much
    into one book, but I betcha he can steer you in the direction of whatever
    you are looking for. And having a big interest in this area, I've looked
    around. If you google on API and C# (you probably have already) you can
    find some good bits and pieces, but unfortantely probably not a the
    comprehensive chunk you are looking for.

    I look around a lot and If I see anytyhing, I'll drop you a line.

    Cheers,

    Bill

    William Ryan, Sep 8, 2003

  3. IMO, the Framework is so big that it's difficult for any book to cover
    everything comprehensively. It's better to get an overview from one or two
    general books and then hunt for books (or Web resources) that focus on the
    specific topics you need to know. (I've found the Wrox "handbook" series to
    be rather useful -- shorter, cheaper books that specialize on specific
    topics.)

    For an intermediate-level Windows.Forms discussion, I like Matthew
    MacDonald's "User Interfaces in VB.Net." It should probably be useful even
    if you're not fluent in VB.

    Robert Jacobson, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:54:20 -0400, "William Ryan"
    <> wrote:

    >That's a tall order my friend.... I just used a combination of

    Well I didn't want to make it too easy for you :))

    >Petzold's book rocks (although it's not geared to your question per se) and
    >Mueller's book is pretty darned good too. I'd recommend writing John...I
    >have and he alwasy writes back immediately. He could only squeeze so much

    I hadn't thought of that, thanks I have just dropped him an email.

    >I look around a lot and If I see anytyhing, I'll drop you a line.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Bill

    Many thanks, much appreciated.
    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:06:21 -0700, "Robert Jacobson"
    <> wrote:

    >IMO, the Framework is so big that it's difficult for any book to cover
    >everything comprehensively. It's better to get an overview from one or two
    >general books and then hunt for books (or Web resources) that focus on the
    >specific topics you need to know. (I've found the Wrox "handbook" series to
    >be rather useful -- shorter, cheaper books that specialize on specific
    >topics.)
    >
    >For an intermediate-level Windows.Forms discussion, I like Matthew
    >MacDonald's "User Interfaces in VB.Net." It should probably be useful even
    >if you're not fluent in VB.

    Robert

    Thanks for your response. My level of knowledge at the moment is such
    that I am often not quite sure what it is I am looking for but there
    is more becoming available gradually.

    I will have a look at Wrox.

    Regards.
    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Jeff Gaines, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Jeff Gaines

    Gregg Walker Guest

    Jeff,

    Stay away from the Wrox and Microsoft books. Especially the Wrox. They're
    very poorly written and mostly regurgitate information you can already find
    in MSDN documentation. Mostly surface level garbage put out quickly to make
    money for the publisher. Sorry to be so harsh but I've bought quite a few
    of these at $50 plus pieces of trash only to be greatly disappointed in
    their content.

    I would take a look at the O'Reilly books if I were you. The ".Net Windows
    Forms In A Nutshell" book is the most comprehensive book I've been able to
    find on Windows Forms. It's more of a reference book than a tutorial on
    learning Windows Forms programming. But it's packed with information.
    There might be publishers other than O'Reilly that are writing for quality
    instead of quantity and speed but I haven't run across any others. All the
    O'Reilly books I have on .Net have been well worth the money.

    Good luck,
    Gregg Walker

    Gregg Walker, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Jeff Gaines

    William Ryan Guest

    Bah!

    MS Press books rock by and large. Wrox is out of business and Appleman
    own's them now, so they'll be great. But Wrox got stuff out quick. Sure,
    lots of typos and all, but they had some very first rate authors.

    I don't even want to get started on O'Reilly. I know, watching code spawn
    over 20 pages is great, but can't they make a hardcover book, just for us
    codgers?

    IMHO, Apress has the best stuff going, but it's a close call with MS PRess.
    Look at either Author List. Richter, Balena, Prosise, Fergus....Appleman,
    Cornell....

    You can't possibly mean that about MS Press?

    William Ryan, Sep 12, 2003
  8. Jeff Gaines

    Gregg Walker Guest

    Bah! Hah! ;-)

    MS Press books are well written. I'll give you that. Their series of books
    I've seen on .Net though do not get beyond the basics in most cases. Hardly
    worth the $50+ spent.

    I'm not quite sure what you're problem with O'Reilly is. When I spend good
    money on a book I expect to get good technical content that goes deeper into
    topics that what you find in available documentation and magazine/web
    articles. All the O'Reilly books I've bought meet that expectation. I
    can't always say the same for MS Press.

    I haven't looked at books from APress yet so I've put them on my list to
    check out. Thanks for the heads up.

    BTW...I don't look for books based on the author. I prefer content over
    reputation.

    Gregg Walker, Sep 13, 2003
  9. William Ryan wrote:
    > MS Press books rock by and large. Wrox is out of business and
    > Appleman own's them now, so they'll be great. But Wrox got stuff out

    Not quite. Wiley cherry picked the 36 most profitable books and Apress
    (Appleman and Gary Cornell) bought the remainder, some of which they are
    republishing under the Apress name. Wiley own the Wrox name and are
    publishing Wrox books under that name.

    > Appleman own's them now, so they'll be great. But Wrox got stuff out
    > quick. Sure, lots of typos and all, but they had some very first
    > rate authors.

    :)

    > IMHO, Apress has the best stuff going, but it's a close call with MS
    > PRess. Look at either Author List. Richter, Balena, Prosise,
    > Fergus....Appleman, Cornell....

    Grimes?

    Richard
    --
    my email is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)
    Richard Grimes [MVP], Sep 28, 2003
  10. Jeff Gaines

    William Ryan Guest

    I just got your managed extensions in C++ book last week, and I really
    enjoyed it. New to manged C++ but figured I needed to start playing with
    it. So yes, I can honestly add your name to the list.

    Bill

    William Ryan, Sep 28, 2003