Books just don't cut it

Andrew Urquhart

Toby said:
Dirt&Stick has syntax highlighting now? What version did you add that
in? I really must upgrade...

I refuse to use dirt&stick - it has a wind and rain vulnerability that
occasionally wipes your data, and the suggested tent workaround isn't
practical in many commercial environments :eek:(

brucie

in post: <
I refuse to use dirt&stick - it has a wind and rain vulnerability that
occasionally wipes your data, and the suggested tent workaround isn't
practical in many commercial environments :eek:(

the tent workaround was suggested as a joke for people too stupid to
know to relocate indoors. there is also the completely portable "lunch
box" version with the convenient 3 foot string scientifically designed
so you can swing it around your head to clear a path through peak hour
commuters, you'll never be late for that important meeting again.

Els

William said:
Els wrote:

They're part of the magic of textpad. They associate highlighting rules
based on file name extensions.

Well, in that case, I'm using the syn files that come with
TextPad. ^o)
No - but first time in anger (proper dev/admin workstation)

Good luck then ;-)
I can promise you a major sized portion of my exceedingly brilliant
bubble & squeak[1] on your next visit if you've found a good syn
file for server side scripting with embeded html ;o)

hmm.. sounds like I'd better find out what a syn file is ;-)

http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/syna2g.html

Didn't even know those existed. But then again, TextPad was
installed on my puter by a friend, (I didn't want to leave
Notepad you see, so he just forced TextPad down my throat,
and now I love it) so maybe he installed the proper syn
files at the same time. The syn files that I have in the
samples folder now are:
asp, AutoLISP, awk, cobol, csharp, dcl, dna, f, LaTeX, lisp,
pascal, pbasic, perl, php, resource, syn, verilog, and vhdl,
all with .syn extension.

Kay, looks like I have to check out that url some time. (Not
now, have to buy some chocolate easter eggs for the kids,
before the shops close :p )
My kitchen produces all manner of wonderful and fearsome thingies.

Somehow that sounds like something that makes your food walk
away by itself if you wait long enough ;-)

William Tasso

Els said:
William Tasso wrote:

Didn't even know those existed. But then again, TextPad was
installed on my puter by a friend ...

ok - textpad is installed with several as standard but they might not be
just right for you - those at the url are supplied by the user base.
Download a few and play - after looking at two/three, the penny drops and
you'll be able to make your own.
Somehow that sounds like something that makes your food walk
away by itself if you wait long enough ;-)

walk away? it will get on a bus and follow you to work if you don't treat it
with respect.

Rob McAninch

Ste said:
Is ther anybody who can help me? Or atleast point me to an
FAQ?

I recommend Note Tab, notetab.com, but notepad.exe is just fine
for learning the basics. No distractions.

As for learning the basics you may want to consider
pagetutor.com. His tutorials were easy to follow and would
introduce you to form processing and JavaScript. I can't recall
if he added CSS or not.

There certainly is a mass of info out there. You can check the
links in my signature for sites I recommend.

As you seemed to have figured out, you should get a handle on
static HTML pages. Then grasping enough of a programming language
to insert free JavaScript or CGI scripts won't be too
intimidating. No need to learn all the details if you don't want
to.

Ste

**advice and links to stuff**
Well, I got Jedit and its up and running so I guess I've made my first step
:) No doubt I'll be back though in the future, but not before I've checked
out some of those links-which may take some time! :) Thanks for the links
and the advice, I'm certain it's already helped me so much more than an
expensive book from a shop,

Ste

Els

William said:
ok - textpad is installed with several as standard but they might not be
just right for you - those at the url are supplied by the user base.
Download a few and play - after looking at two/three, the penny drops and
you'll be able to make your own.

Yep, I see what you mean now. A lot more possibilities than
I knew there were, thanks :)
walk away? it will get on a bus and follow you to work if you don't treat it
with respect.

Suppose that's respect as in 'Sir
Green-all-over-with-white-hair, would you like to stay in my
fridge a few days longer, or would a warmer place be more to
your liking today?

Augustus

Mark Parnell said:
At least 100px font wouldn't be too small to read in most browsing
situations. :)

Hmm... all my sites are done in "px"... maybe one day I'll get around to
changing it

Maybe I am just waiting for somebody, other than a poster to these groups,
to complain about it

David Dorward

Augustus said:
Maybe I am just waiting for somebody, other than a poster to these groups,
to complain about it

Complaining is too much work for most visitors, they'll just find a rival
instead.

gus

An html book is generally a boring and useless way of learning html. books
tend to mess about with theory and stuff, and not actually tell you how to
write code, so you need to learn it by someone telling it to you face to
face, thats how i learnt it. html is actually really easy, there's only so
much stuff you can know about it and none of it takes that long to learn,
once you know the tags it's all simple logic. i started off doing it in
acehtml 6 pro, looking at the source of pages and then copying code to see
what it does.

Travis Newbury

gus said:
An html book is generally a boring and useless way of learning html. books
tend to mess about with theory and stuff, and not actually tell you how to
write code, so you need to learn it by someone telling it to you face to
face, thats how i learnt it.

So for you, books are not a good way to learn. For others they are right?

Robert Morrisette

Travis Newbury said:
So for you, books are not a good way to learn. For others they are right?

You should look at more books. Most I've seen tell you how to write code.

Sabu