Borderless frames

John Smith

Don't hit me, don't kill me.

But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
good HTML?

Steve R.

John Smith wrote in message ...
I really mean frames as in <frameset><frame>
so I meant: http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/temp/
but without the white line.

Never figured out a way to get rid of that white line, so I normally use a
very pale background to the lower frame, so it's barely noticeable, or
create a more obvious border with something like this ...

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET frameborder=10 FRAMEMARGIN="0" rows="78,98%">
<FRAME name=HEADER noResize src="header.htm" scrolling="no" target="_self"
marginwidth="12" marginheight="10">
<FRAME name=MAIN src="home.htm" scrolling="auto" target="_self"
marginwidth="12" marginheight="0" target="_MAIN">
</frameset>
</HTML>

Els

Steve said:
John Smith wrote in message ...

Never figured out a way to get rid of that white line, so I normally use a
very pale background to the lower frame, so it's barely noticeable, or
create a more obvious border with something like this ...

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET frameborder=10 FRAMEMARGIN="0" rows="78,98%">
<FRAME name=HEADER noResize src="header.htm" scrolling="no" target="_self"
marginwidth="12" marginheight="10">
<FRAME name=MAIN src="home.htm" scrolling="auto" target="_self"
marginwidth="12" marginheight="0" target="_MAIN">
</frameset>
</HTML>

To get rid of the white lines, either use border="0" or
framespacing="0" on the framesets. Not valid though, but
works. Obviously in combination with frameborder="0" and
marginwidth and marginheight set to "0" on each frame as well.

John Smith

--
Els

- Renato Russo -
This is the solution I currently use, but as you said it's not valid HTML.

David Dorward

John said:
Don't hit me, don't kill me.

But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
good HTML?

IIRC, there is no way, with valid HTML, to remove the visible borders
between frames in most[1] browsers.

I'd suggest seeking an alternative to the frames.

[1] Perhaps all.

Mark Parnell

Good is in the eyes of the beholder.

And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user. Frames
cause them problems. Therefore frames are not good.

Trevor George

Mark Parnell wrote in message ...
And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user.
Frames cause them problems.

And have you spoken to all the end users to confirm frames cause them
problems ??

I thought not :~(

Many of our clients like framed websites when asked to look at a sample of
good framed websites and good non-framed websites.

They like the continuity of part of the website remaining on the browser
rather than a blank white space for 15 (or so) seconds as the next page
loads.

If they prefer frames we build frames. It's as simple as that, and we DO
explain the bookmarking and other minor issues with frames, so they are
warned.

Whitecrest

And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user. Frames
cause them problems. Therefore frames are not good.

There are several hundred million people surfing, I doubt you can speak
for all of them.