    Don't hit me, don't kill me.

    But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
    good HTML?

    John Smith, Feb 24, 2004

  2. John Smith

    Steve R. Guest

    Steve R., Feb 24, 2004

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    John Smith, Feb 24, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Steve R. Guest

    John Smith wrote in message ...
    > I really mean frames as in <frameset><frame>
    > so I meant: http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/temp/
    > but without the white line.

    Never figured out a way to get rid of that white line, so I normally use a
    very pale background to the lower frame, so it's barely noticeable, or
    create a more obvious border with something like this ...

    <HTML><HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <FRAMESET frameborder=10 FRAMEMARGIN="0" rows="78,98%">
    <FRAME name=HEADER noResize src="header.htm" scrolling="no" target="_self"
    marginwidth="12" marginheight="10">
    <FRAME name=MAIN src="home.htm" scrolling="auto" target="_self"
    marginwidth="12" marginheight="0" target="_MAIN">
    </frameset>
    </HTML>

    Steve R., Feb 24, 2004
  5. John Smith

    Els Guest

    Steve R. wrote:

    > John Smith wrote in message ...
    >
    >>I really mean frames as in <frameset><frame>
    >>so I meant: http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/temp/
    >>but without the white line.

    > Never figured out a way to get rid of that white line, so I normally use a
    > very pale background to the lower frame, so it's barely noticeable, or
    > create a more obvious border with something like this ...
    >
    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <TITLE></TITLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <FRAMESET frameborder=10 FRAMEMARGIN="0" rows="78,98%">
    > <FRAME name=HEADER noResize src="header.htm" scrolling="no" target="_self"
    > marginwidth="12" marginheight="10">
    > <FRAME name=MAIN src="home.htm" scrolling="auto" target="_self"
    > marginwidth="12" marginheight="0" target="_MAIN">
    > </frameset>
    > </HTML>

    To get rid of the white lines, either use border="0" or
    framespacing="0" on the framesets. Not valid though, but
    works. Obviously in combination with frameborder="0" and
    marginwidth and marginheight set to "0" on each frame as well.

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Feb 24, 2004
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Els" <> schreef in bericht

    > Steve R. wrote:
    >
    > > John Smith wrote in message ...
    > >
    > >>I really mean frames as in <frameset><frame>
    > >>so I meant: http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/temp/
    > >>but without the white line.

    > > Never figured out a way to get rid of that white line, so I normally use

    > > very pale background to the lower frame, so it's barely noticeable, or
    > > create a more obvious border with something like this ...
    > >
    > > <HTML><HEAD>
    > > <TITLE></TITLE>
    > > </HEAD>
    > > <FRAMESET frameborder=10 FRAMEMARGIN="0" rows="78,98%">
    > > <FRAME name=HEADER noResize src="header.htm" scrolling="no"

    target="_self"
    > > marginwidth="12" marginheight="10">
    > > <FRAME name=MAIN src="home.htm" scrolling="auto" target="_self"
    > > marginwidth="12" marginheight="0" target="_MAIN">
    > > </frameset>
    > > </HTML>

    > To get rid of the white lines, either use border="0" or
    > framespacing="0" on the framesets. Not valid though, but
    > works. Obviously in combination with frameborder="0" and
    > marginwidth and marginheight set to "0" on each frame as well.
    >

    > --
    > Els
    >
    > Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    > - Renato Russo -

    This is the solution I currently use, but as you said it's not valid HTML.

    John Smith, Feb 24, 2004
  7. John Smith wrote:

    > Don't hit me, don't kill me.
    >
    > But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
    > good HTML?

    IIRC, there is no way, with valid HTML, to remove the visible borders
    between frames in most[1] browsers.

    I'd suggest seeking an alternative to the frames.

    [1] Perhaps all.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Feb 24, 2004
  8. John Smith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:15:07 +0100, "John Smith" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Don't hit me, don't kill me.

    Only because you asked.

    > But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
    > good HTML?

    But frames _aren't_ good HTML.

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 25, 2004
  9. John Smith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <urflevghbucp.f3t0jcm66b1d$>,
    says...
    > > But how do I create frames that don't have (vissible) borders, and is also
    > > good HTML?

    > But frames _aren't_ good HTML.

    They are completely valid GOOD html

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 26, 2004
  10. John Smith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:14:48 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    declared in alt.html:
    > In article <urflevghbucp.f3t0jcm66b1d$>,
    > says...
    >> But frames _aren't_ good HTML.

    > They are completely valid GOOD html

    Valid, yes (assuming you are using a frameset doctype), but good, no.
    Big difference.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 26, 2004
  11. John Smith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <cnd8hcx2gkzy$>,
    says...
    > >> But frames _aren't_ good HTML.

    > > They are completely valid GOOD html

    > Valid, yes (assuming you are using a frameset doctype), but good, no.
    > Big difference.

    Good is in the eyes of the beholder.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 26, 2004
  12. John Smith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:21 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Good is in the eyes of the beholder.

    And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user. Frames
    cause them problems. Therefore frames are not good.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 26, 2004
  13. Mark Parnell wrote in message ...
    > And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user.
    > Frames cause them problems.

    And have you spoken to all the end users to confirm frames cause them
    problems ??

    I thought not :~(

    Many of our clients like framed websites when asked to look at a sample of
    good framed websites and good non-framed websites.

    They like the continuity of part of the website remaining on the browser
    rather than a blank white space for 15 (or so) seconds as the next page
    loads.

    If they prefer frames we build frames. It's as simple as that, and we DO
    explain the bookmarking and other minor issues with frames, so they are
    warned.

    Trevor George, Feb 26, 2004
  14. John Smith

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:19:21 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Good is in the eyes of the beholder.

    > And in the case of a web site, the beholder is the end user. Frames
    > cause them problems. Therefore frames are not good.

    There are several hundred million people surfing, I doubt you can speak
    for all of them.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com