    components.the problem is that google gets displayed but i cant search
    nething on it...gmail doesnt get displayed at all...quite a number of
    pages aint displayed for that matter..what shuld i do,plz help!!!!
    isha, Feb 21, 2007

    *

    >..plz help!!!!

    * I suggest the following..
    - Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).
    - Use correct case for J2SE classes like JFrame
    - Start each senttence with an upper case letter

    (all to assist the reader)

    As to your technical question, it is easy
    to parse and render valid HTML, but a
    'real world' browser has to parse lots of
    malformed web pages. Swing's JEditorPane
    is not suited to that.

    I suggest you use a real browser instead.

    (Note the exact problem in this case might
    be Google refusing to work with anything that
    identifies itself as 'Java' in the headers,
    but the advice still applies.)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 21, 2007

  3. isha

    Mark Space Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > - Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).

    Just curious: what is SMS? I'd call abbreviations like that "chat" or
    txtmsg, myself.

    > (Note the exact problem in this case might
    > be Google refusing to work with anything that
    > identifies itself as 'Java' in the headers,
    > but the advice still applies.)

    That and he (she?) mentioned gmail, which relies heavily on Ajax and
    Javascript. Javascript is not HTML and it's not Java. It's a whole new
    ball of wax and not "run" by the Java HTML renderer. The OP can have
    fun with that one. ;)
    Mark Space, Feb 21, 2007
  4. On Feb 22, 10:16 am, Mark Space <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > - Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).

    > Just curious: what is SMS?

    I am not sure what you mean, but taking the
    most literal interpretation of your words..
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym+sms>
    'Short Message Service'.

    >..I'd call abbreviations like that "chat" or
    > txtmsg, myself.

    I would not dare use a string such as
    'txtmsg' when asking a person not to
    use 'plz', I see them as a very similar
    style of abbreviation.

    I am not that familiar with 'chat'.
    Would it convey the concept better?
    (I'll take your comment as 1 vote 'yes',
    but am also interested in what others think)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 21, 2007
  5. isha

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > I would not dare use a string such as 'txtmsg'
    > when asking a person not to use 'plz',
    > I see them as a very similar style of abbreviation.
    >
    > I am not that familiar with 'chat'.
    > Would it convey the concept better?

    "Chat", which I guess to be the term from the heyday of IRC, and "IM" refer to
    the online style of abbreviated speech: LOL, ROTFL, OMG! This was the
    progenitor of SMSese, the lingo fractured of the cell phone text message. They
    are quite similar, especially amongst the younguns. Another name is "l33t"
    ("leet"), as used by the "elite" of the "hax0r" world, or "leetspeak"
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak>,
    er,
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leetspeak>.

    I use cell phone text messaging a lot, but fogey that I am I tend to spell out
    my words even over SMS.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Orwell>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four>

    - Lew