    every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
    was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
    usage?
    DJ Craig, Mar 29, 2006

  2. DJ Craig

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    DJ Craig wrote:
    > When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
    > by this trend in the browsers:
    >
    > Nov13-26 Mar12-25
    > IE 82.62% 75.31%
    > Firefox 12.66% 20.25%
    > Safari 2.79% 1.98%
    > Netscape 0.64% 1.23%
    > Opera 0.86% 0.49%
    >
    > More FF less IE! :) but I only get a few hundred visitors on my site
    > every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
    > was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
    > usage?

    Mine is even more dramatic :) This is from my main domain, and I know that
    these statistics are badly skewed due to the nature of the site (but trend
    is still interesting):

    ~60,000 visitors, November 2005 vs March 2006
    Firefox 23.3 % 55.6 %
    IE 67.8 % 29.0 %
    Mozilla 0.9 % 7.9 %
    Safari 3.0 % 2.8 %
    Opera 2.0 % 1.8 %
    Unknown 1.6 % 1.0 %
    Netscape 0.3 % 0.7 %
    Konqueror 0.1 % 0.1 %
    MultiZilla - 0.1 %
    Camino 0.2 % 0.1 %
    Others 0.1 % 0.2 %
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 29, 2006

  3. In article <442b0666$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > DJ Craig wrote:
    > > When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
    > > by this trend in the browsers:
    > > Opera 0.86% 0.49%

    > Mine is even more dramatic :) This is from my main domain, and I know that
    > these statistics are badly skewed due to the nature of the site (but trend
    > is still interesting):
    > Opera 2.0 % 1.8 %

    Although you both said your stats were skewed, I find the Opera stats
    interesting. They went free-unbannered a couple of months before your
    first columns. I'd have expected Opera's usage to increase.
    I'm a Safari (leaning toward Camino) user myself, but I do have Opera
    installed, and it works fine.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Mar 30, 2006
  4. In article <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > I find the Opera stats
    > interesting. They went free-unbannered a couple of months before your
    > first columns. I'd have expected Opera's usage to increase.

    Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
    aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
    general).

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Mar 30, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    Joel Shepherd <> wrote:

    > Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
    > aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
    > general).

    Oh, I agree! Nevertheless, I don't understand why the stats went down in
    both cases. I agree that two servers can't indicate much either.
    Especially two servers whose owners post to ah or ciwbm.
    My reading of knowledgeable posts seems to indicate that stats are
    completely useless. I don't think they are *completely* useless.
    Especially with dramatic trends. The trend for Opera wasn't dramatic.
    But both posters servers or virtual servers should attract more Opera
    savvy users than generic sites would.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Mar 30, 2006
  6. DJ Craig

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Joel Shepherd <> wrote:
    >
    > > Opera, by default, identifies itself as IE. Stats reporting Opera usage
    > > aren't especially reliable (which applies to browser usage stats in
    > > general).

    > Oh, I agree! Nevertheless, I don't understand why the stats went down in
    > both cases. I agree that two servers can't indicate much either.
    > Especially two servers whose owners post to ah or ciwbm.
    > My reading of knowledgeable posts seems to indicate that stats are
    > completely useless. I don't think they are *completely* useless.
    > Especially with dramatic trends. The trend for Opera wasn't dramatic.
    > But both posters servers or virtual servers should attract more Opera
    > savvy users than generic sites would.

    There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  7. DJ Craig

    Toby Inkster Guest

    DJ Craig wrote:

    > When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
    > by this trend in the browsers

    Mine are quite bizarre:

    Nov 2005
    IE = 35.4%
    Fx = 12.5%
    Op = 9.45%
    Sf = 1.48%
    Ns = 0.318%

    Mar 2006 (so far)
    IE = 41.5%
    Fx = 23.5%
    Op = 6.32%
    Sf = 2.84%
    Ns = 0.342%

    Where are all the other hits? November the percentages total to only about
    60%. I'm guessing I was hit by several search engine crawlers that month.

    I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible that
    once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which is what
    we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after Christmas when
    a bunch of people would have got new computers and perhaps forgot to copy
    Opera from their old one.

    I've not done the calculations on my own logs, but that theory would
    result in Opera percentages moving a bit like this:

    N(Op)
    | _.----.._
    | _./ `-.
    | / \
    | .' `-..______________
    | /
    | /
    |...-
    |_____Oct___Nov___Dec___Jan___Feb___Mar____

    Ending up at a higher percentage than before it went free, but only after
    a peak. Does anyone have their statistics to hand to confirm/deny this?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 30, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

    Blasphemy! I have it, covet it and aspire to use it. Perhaps tomorrow.
    Opera even works very well on a Mac. But... So do a bunch of other
    excellent browsers. I can't use IE other than IE5Mac though :>( or :>)

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Mar 30, 2006
  9. DJ Craig

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > There's always the possibility that more people don't like Opera now.

    > Blasphemy! I have it, covet it and aspire to use it. Perhaps tomorrow.
    > Opera even works very well on a Mac. But... So do a bunch of other
    > excellent browsers. I can't use IE other than IE5Mac though :>( or :>)

    I've had some trouble with Opera, notably in the mechanics of rendering.
    Sometimes it's like a robot that needs oil or a fine watch with a gear
    tooth missing here and there.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2006
  10. DJ Craig

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Toby Inkster
    finally proclaimed:

    > I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible that
    > once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which is what
    > we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after Christmas when
    > a bunch of people would have got new computers and perhaps forgot to copy
    > Opera from their old one.

    I'd say it was more likely that people thought they would give Opera a
    try when it went free, and half those who tried it decided they liked it
    better than their previous browser, but the other half decided the
    opposite, so went back to using IE/FF/et al. In other words, you can't
    please all of the people all of the time.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Mar 30, 2006
  11. DJ Craig wrote:

    > When I looked in my Google Analytics stats for my site, I was pleased
    > by this trend in the browsers:
    >
    > Nov13-26 Mar12-25
    > IE 82.62% 75.31%
    > Firefox 12.66% 20.25%
    > Safari 2.79% 1.98%
    > Netscape 0.64% 1.23%
    > Opera 0.86% 0.49%
    >
    > More FF less IE! :) but I only get a few hundred visitors on my site
    > every two weeks and it might be a badly skewed population sample. I
    > was wondering if other people are seeing the same trends in browser
    > usage?

    Take that with a grain of salt. How many of the IE browsers hitting your
    site are actually other browsers reporting as IE? There are times when I
    need to convince a server that I am running IE in order to access certain
    areas - usually work related. I have been tempted to have my browser
    report IE all the time, just to save me from those annoying "IE only"
    messages. I stick to being honest, knowing if I want the situation to
    change, people need to see non-IE browsers in their stats logs.

    So again the question, how many browsers are inaccurately reporting
    themselves to be IE, or Navigator, or some other one?

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 30, 2006
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
    <> writing in news::

    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Toby Inkster
    > finally proclaimed:
    >
    >> I too get the drop in Opera usage, which is very odd. It is possible
    >> that once Opera went free, there was a spike in people using it, which
    >> is what we're seeing in November, but that then levelled off after
    >> Christmas when a bunch of people would have got new computers and
    >> perhaps forgot to copy Opera from their old one.

    > I'd say it was more likely that people thought they would give Opera a
    > try when it went free, and half those who tried it decided they liked
    > it better than their previous browser, but the other half decided the
    > opposite, so went back to using IE/FF/et al. In other words, you can't
    > please all of the people all of the time.

    It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did not
    have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be daunting
    when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 1, 2006
  13. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    <snip>
    > It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did not
    > have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be daunting
    > when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

    Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
    and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a
    new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  14. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something)
    >> did not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
    >> daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.
    >>

    > Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot
    > drag and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or
    > to a new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

    You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
    desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
    didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 1, 2006
  15. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"

    <snip>
    >> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot
    >> drag and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or
    >> to a new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!
    >>

    > You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
    > desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
    > didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

    You can drag to rearrange to order of the tabs but your cannot drag a
    link to a tab to open that url in that tab...a Google and eBay friendly
    process. I only drag stuff to the desktop for currently working
    project...very temporary then like one should do in reality as
    virtually, clear of the desktop...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006
  16. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did
    > not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
    > daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.

    Opera natively lets you stack tabs vertically on either side of your
    viewport. I love that. I can have 30 or so tabs visible, and they only
    take up horizontal space (the width of which you can configure), which
    isn't usually all needed for viewing the page anyway.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  17. DJ Craig

    Jose Guest

    > You can drag to rearrange to order of the tabs but your cannot drag a link to a tab to open that url in that tab...a Google and eBay friendly process.

    Can't you trick-click?

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Apr 1, 2006
  18. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
    > and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a new
    > tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

    Must be a version issue.

    <clickety click>

    I can do both (drag link to tab and desktop) with Opera here:

    Opera 8.51/WinXP
    Opera 8.51/Win2000
    Opera 8.51/Win98SE
    Opera 8.51/Mandriva Linux
    Opera 8.51/SUSE Linux

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  19. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> writing in
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >><snip>
    >>> It seems to me one of the versions of Opera (maybe 7 dot something) did
    >>> not have a way to list which tabs were open, and that could/can be
    >>> daunting when you have 10 or so tabs open at once.
    >>>

    >> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
    >> and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a
    >> new tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!
    >>

    > You can drag tabs as much as you want. I don't ever drag anything to the
    > desktop (there's already too much clutter I haven't cleaned up), so I
    > didn't know about the inability to drag to desktup.

    Neither did I. And I just dragged links to the desktop (and the tab
    bar) from Opera's address bar in five Opera/OS combinations. :)

    Like you, I'd never drag a link to the desktop in Real Life, though.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2006
  20. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Opera is okay, but what frustrates me when using it that you cannot drag
    >> and drop links. Didn't realize how often I drag to the desktop or to a new
    >> tab and -- OH! that's right this is Opera!

    > Must be a version issue.
    >
    > <clickety click>
    >
    > I can do both (drag link to tab and desktop) with Opera here:
    >
    > Opera 8.51/WinXP
    > Opera 8.51/Win2000
    > Opera 8.51/Win98SE
    > Opera 8.51/Mandriva Linux
    > Opera 8.51/SUSE Linux

    Yes seems to be, I have two versions 7.54 and 8.51.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 1, 2006