Building extensions with vc8

Howard Lightstone

Has there been any progress on being able to build extensions with MSVC8
(aka Visual Studio 2005)?

Since the "free" compiler from Microsoft is now VC8, I *assume* this will
be the new method.....

2.5 itself rebuilds using PCbuild8, as do tkinter (but using Tcl 8.4.14 and
Tk 8.4.14) however none of the distutils-generated extensions will build.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Howard said:
Has there been any progress on being able to build extensions with MSVC8
(aka Visual Studio 2005)?

No. No progress will happen throughout the release of Python 2.5.
To get the facts straight: it *might* be possible to build an extension
with msvc8 (thus linking with msvcr8.dll); this should work as long
as the extension doesn't use any API that is forbidden for the mixed-CRT
case. Only a source inspection of the extension module can tell whether
there is any risky code.
Since the "free" compiler from Microsoft is now VC8, I *assume* this will
be the new method.....

Your assumption is wrong; this isn't officially supported.
2.5 itself rebuilds using PCbuild8, as do tkinter (but using Tcl 8.4.14 and
Tk 8.4.14) however none of the distutils-generated extensions will build.

If you built Python 2.5 yourself with VS 2005, you should be able to
build extension modules as well with distutils, by setting MSSdk and
DISTUTILS_USE_SDK appropriately.

Regards,
Martin