Buying an upload component

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Humm,,. Is that sorta like how for the past 4 years or so you basically
told
people to never use MSAccess and to only use high end database servers for
every project ?

Can you cite some examples where I said always use SQL Server regardless of
the circumstance? Scratch that, you'll probably just twist my words around.
Again.
Ray, if you try out a quality component like ASPUpload you'll most likely
see improvements despite what Mr. Newsgroup says.

Gee, I seem to recall suggesting ASPUpload, and simply not being convinced
that Ray's current speed issues were merely and solely because he is using
an upload solution without a component. I also noted that *my* observations
in *our* environment showed that the performance of a *certain*
component-less script was actually a bit faster than ASPUpload.

You sure took those thoughts and tried to make me look like an asshole, with
a bunch of unwarranted ad hominen attacks. Congratulations.
They can function much more efficiently when it
comes to file uploading if done right.

See, there's that "conditional" logic again. You're screaming at me for
saying "it depends" when it really does depend. You can keep attacking me
with your circular logic, and this is where I bow out.

*PLONK*

CJM

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
Good plan! I do that all the time. :)

That is a fantastic idea! Is there a remote installation solution for this?

I could do with applying it to my boss.

CJM

CJM

Personally, I think thats a really bad attitude, Chris...

As my mother used to say, 'If you can't say something libellous,
unsubstantiated, inflammatory or intolerant, don't say anything at all!'

Well it was something like that.

£10 says Fred floors Aaron in the 7th round... ;-)

Chris

PS. I love the way you talk about 256kbps as if it were narrowband! I think
this whole debate is redundant for me and my 40kbps dial-up connection.

CJM

Now that the 'debate' has started, Ray... How about posting us your findings
when you have tried a few options?

Cheers

Chris

Jeff Cochran

Anybody with half a brain knows a good component based upload component can
totally outperform a purely script based solution.

You're exactly right. It *can*. It doesn't necessarily mean it
always will, so cut the attitude. Anybody that does real-world
programming realizes there is never a one-size-fits-all solution.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran

NB: I was following this thread since I've never done uploads but I'd like
to in the near future and I thought I might learn something. However, it
looks like I'll just have to get hold of them all and have a go myself to
see what's best for me - probably a component, not for speed, but for speed
and ease of development.

That's really the key, finding what works for you. In some cases, we
use the absolute worst product for the job simply because we're
comfortable programming with it. In my case, I usually test the first
component I find, if I can understand it and comfortably work with it
within three minutes, I don't normally look at the next one.
Sometimes it takes a few tries, sometimes you get lucky right out of
the gate. But you would never get anything productive done if you
agonized over every choice you made and examined all the what-if's
involved.

Works the same with wives... :)

Jeff

Chris Barber

Yeah, I do love my ADSL - it rocks. I still get scared thinking of going
back to dial-up.

And ... I'm not a bad person, I really do try and reply to posts if I think
I can provide a solution. In this instance, although not a solution, I
thought that the best thing to do would be to get hold of the upload
components, put them on similar web pages and try the upload to see how well
they perform and how easy they are to work with.

Anyway, my money's on Ray ....

Chris.

Personally, I think thats a really bad attitude, Chris...

As my mother used to say, 'If you can't say something libellous,
unsubstantiated, inflammatory or intolerant, don't say anything at all!'

Well it was something like that.

£10 says Fred floors Aaron in the 7th round... ;-)

Chris

PS. I love the way you talk about 256kbps as if it were narrowband! I think
this whole debate is redundant for me and my 40kbps dial-up connection.

Chris Barber

[re: wives] that's how I found mine!

She started cleaning three minutes after getting into my rented house and I
thought to myself 'that's the woman for me'. Joking of course, my wife is
amazing and even puts up with me tapping away at 2am in the morning if
something grabs me.

Chris.

Jeff Cochran said:
[...]

Ahh! the joys of letting other people make your decisions for you :)

LoL.

Seriously, Dundas [free], ASPUpload [relatively expensive], and my
favourite ABCUpload (http://www.websupergoo.com/products.htm) all seem to
get good reviews. I like the Web Supergoo components, I've used a few of
them (especially the PDF one) and the support is very good. I detected a
memory leak in the PDF component and they had a fix out without 48 hours so
I was pretty impressed.

Quote from Supergoo website:

ABCUpload ASP is normally priced at $149. However as a special offer we'll
give you a free license key - all you have to do is link back to our web
site. For full details check out our link guidelines...

Sounds interesting if you can give them the link back.

Chris.

I posted so I wouldn't have to test 900 different options. Damn you all!
:p

Ray at work

Antonin Foller

Hi, Fred
Oh, I'm sorry, some old info on my web-site.

Pure-ASP upload v 2.0 has very improoved performance - it can upload up
to 100th of megabytes and its performance is on ~30-40% of best-component
performance (Huge-ASP upload, of course :). So the info about 100kB and
exceptionally MB is very old. I must change it.

Most of public pure-asp upload scripts and VBA components (each of?)
have some bad algorithms - request.BinaryRead(request.TotalBytes) - one
block reading, and single byte-to-char conversions when storing files on
server-side. Consumed processor time depends by square on source file/form
size, so upload limit is on megabytes, depending on processor performance.

Pure-ASP 2.0 upload has block-by-block algorithm to read source data and
has NO single byte-to-char conversions. So its performance depends linearly
on source data size and the performance is really exciting for big files
(100th megabytes or 20% of a free memory is a limit, 10th of megabytes
without problems).

Antonin, Author of PureASP and HugeASP upload.
http://www.pstruh.cz/