    Is there any way we for ASP scripts to make larger file uploads?

    Thanks in advance,
    Benny
    msnews.microsoft.com, Aug 17, 2004

  2. msnews.microsoft.com

    Ray at Guest

    The size of an upload is limited by an IIS setting, IIRC. If you're
    accepting 100MB uploads, I suggest you go with a host with an upload
    component. I'm pretty sure that the speed difference you'll notice between
    using a script to process the upload and what speed you'd see with a
    component will be lightyears apart. Script-based uploads are fine for a
    file that's a kb or 2, but when you start talking megs, you're looking at a
    ridiculous amount of time for the upload to process. The bottleneck will
    NOT be the person's upload speed.

    Ray at home

    "msnews.microsoft.com" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I hope we can upload only files with limited size through ASP

    scripts(<2MB).
    > I need to write an ASP script that can serve up to 100MB of file

    uploading.

    > I have written one script(with progress bar ;-)), as my hosting won't

    allow

    Ray at, Aug 17, 2004

  3. msnews.microsoft.com

    Carol Carrot Guest

    He just told you he can't go with the upload component.
    Why do we pee-pee on the requirements to push irrelevant "other" solutions
    we know so much about?

    message news:%...

    Carol Carrot, Aug 17, 2004
  4. msnews.microsoft.com

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:40:14 -0600, "Carol Carrot"
    <> wrote:

    >He just told you he can't go with the upload component.
    >Why do we pee-pee on the requirements to push irrelevant "other" solutions
    >we know so much about?

    Perhaps because the "other" solution is the far better solution? In
    this case, a scripted upload will definitely be a performance hog.
    And while I personally can't imagine a host that would allow 100 MB
    uploads anot provide or allow a component, if there is such a one then
    the OP really does need to rethink their hosting choice.

    That being said, the OP was looking for an ASP upload script solution
    to an IIS setting which is controlled hy the host. Ray provided valid
    alternatives, and while he didn't come outright and say it, no upload
    script will defeat the IIS setting.

    My suggestion would be to look at using FTP, which is more efficient
    and not limited, but the host that doesn't allow upload components may
    very well not allow FTP either.

    The other possibility would be an ASP script that would break the
    upload into smaller units, handle the upload and reassemble them, but
    that's going to take more than just components.

    To satisfy your request that the OP be answered with only the solution
    they requested, I will decline to respond to the OP, since I know of
    no way to accomplish the exact specifications you believe they
    require.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Would you rather everyone ignored the message when they couldn't come up
    with a solution that meets the requirements? Isn't it more helpful to
    suggest alternatives that could possible help the user out, even if they
    don't fit the requirements?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 17, 2004