Uploading larger files with ASP

msnews.microsoft.com

Hi,

I hope we can upload only files with limited size through ASP scripts(<2MB).
I need to write an ASP script that can serve up to 100MB of file uploading.

I have written one script(with progress bar ;-)), as my hosting won't allow
me any third party upload components.
Is there any way we for ASP scripts to make larger file uploads?

Thanks in advance,
Benny

Ray at

The size of an upload is limited by an IIS setting, IIRC. If you're
accepting 100MB uploads, I suggest you go with a host with an upload
component. I'm pretty sure that the speed difference you'll notice between
using a script to process the upload and what speed you'd see with a
component will be lightyears apart. Script-based uploads are fine for a
file that's a kb or 2, but when you start talking megs, you're looking at a
ridiculous amount of time for the upload to process. The bottleneck will
NOT be the person's upload speed.

Ray at home

Carol Carrot

He just told you he can't go with the upload component.
Why do we pee-pee on the requirements to push irrelevant "other" solutions
we know so much about?

Jeff Cochran

He just told you he can't go with the upload component.
Why do we pee-pee on the requirements to push irrelevant "other" solutions
we know so much about?

Perhaps because the "other" solution is the far better solution? In
this case, a scripted upload will definitely be a performance hog.
And while I personally can't imagine a host that would allow 100 MB
uploads anot provide or allow a component, if there is such a one then
the OP really does need to rethink their hosting choice.

That being said, the OP was looking for an ASP upload script solution
to an IIS setting which is controlled hy the host. Ray provided valid
alternatives, and while he didn't come outright and say it, no upload
script will defeat the IIS setting.

My suggestion would be to look at using FTP, which is more efficient
and not limited, but the host that doesn't allow upload components may
very well not allow FTP either.

The other possibility would be an ASP script that would break the
upload into smaller units, handle the upload and reassemble them, but
that's going to take more than just components.

To satisfy your request that the OP be answered with only the solution
they requested, I will decline to respond to the OP, since I know of
no way to accomplish the exact specifications you believe they
require.

Jeff

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Would you rather everyone ignored the message when they couldn't come up
with a solution that meets the requirements? Isn't it more helpful to
suggest alternatives that could possible help the user out, even if they
don't fit the requirements?