Uploading Large Files

Dan

I'm using a pure ASP upload script to handle file uploading. We run IIS6 and
I'm aware of the AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed variable in the metabase. I upped
this to allow the file size maximum and it was working for the past couple
months. Now all of a sudden in the past couple of days we are seeming to have
problems.

The upload works fine for anything up to around 2mb (or so it seems).

When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following error
(thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the website in
IIS.

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try
again.

When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by ASP.
The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed needs to be
increased, but since I've already increased it as high as it can go, I'm
really confused.

Request object error 'ASP 0101 : 80004005'
Unexpected error
/scripts/update/ShadowUploader.asp, line 58
The function returned |.

Line 58: strBinData = Request.BinaryRead(iBytesCount)

Dan

My thoughts exactly. I didn't necessarily say it was something in the code I
needed to fix. I'm looking for suggestions on anything that could be wrong.

Dan

I've already read that article, and many others I searched for off of Google.
I only ask for help when I can't already find it somewhere else.

I'm not using a component - this is a pure ASP file upload.

Dan

I'm pretty well sure it's anything above ~6mb, which is just an odd figure,
since I have no limits set.

Dan

I'm using a pure ASP upload script. I've tried 3 other ones, all get the
same error. I also just used a third party upload component and got the same
error. I may look into ASP.NET, but only as a last resort. There must be a
solution to this, since it was working before :\

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot with me though.

Anthony Jones

Dan said:
[...]

My guess is that iBytesCount is not a chunk size but the total size right.
IOW, you are not chunking the data in but trying to read the whole lot in a
single buffer. OR am I wrong?

Dave Anderson

Dan said:
When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following
error (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the
website in IIS.

Is Firefox the only affected browser?
Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection.
Please try again.

When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by
ASP. The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed
needs to be increased, but since I've already increased it as high as
it can go, I'm really confused.

Is there any chance this server is behind a proxy (reverse or otherwise)?
Can you duplicate this behavior on the server itself (by logging into the
server and using the web client on the machine to upload a large file)?