Uploading Large Files

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dan, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I'm using a pure ASP upload script to handle file uploading. We run IIS6 and
    I'm aware of the AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed variable in the metabase. I upped
    this to allow the file size maximum and it was working for the past couple
    months. Now all of a sudden in the past couple of days we are seeming to have
    problems.

    The upload works fine for anything up to around 2mb (or so it seems).

    When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following error
    (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
    Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the website in
    IIS.

    Connection Interrupted
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try
    again.

    When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by ASP.
    The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed needs to be
    increased, but since I've already increased it as high as it can go, I'm
    really confused.

    Request object error 'ASP 0101 : 80004005'
    Unexpected error
    /scripts/update/ShadowUploader.asp, line 58
    The function returned |.

    Line 58: strBinData = Request.BinaryRead(iBytesCount)

    Dan, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Dan

    Dan Guest

    My thoughts exactly. I didn't necessarily say it was something in the code I
    needed to fix. I'm looking for suggestions on anything that could be wrong.

    Dan, Jul 7, 2008

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I've already read that article, and many others I searched for off of Google.
    I only ask for help when I can't already find it somewhere else.

    I'm not using a component - this is a pure ASP file upload.

    Dan, Jul 7, 2008
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I'm pretty well sure it's anything above ~6mb, which is just an odd figure,
    since I have no limits set.

    Dan, Jul 8, 2008
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I'm using a pure ASP upload script. I've tried 3 other ones, all get the
    same error. I also just used a third party upload component and got the same
    error. I may look into ASP.NET, but only as a last resort. There must be a
    solution to this, since it was working before :\

    Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot with me though.

    Dan, Jul 8, 2008
  6. "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using a pure ASP upload script to handle file uploading. We run IIS6

    and
    > I'm aware of the AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed variable in the metabase. I

    upped
    > this to allow the file size maximum and it was working for the past couple
    > months. Now all of a sudden in the past couple of days we are seeming to

    have
    > problems.
    >
    > The upload works fine for anything up to around 2mb (or so it seems).
    >
    > When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following error
    > (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
    > Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the website

    in
    > IIS.
    >
    > Connection Interrupted
    > The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    > The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please

    try
    > again.
    >
    > When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by ASP.
    > The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed needs to be
    > increased, but since I've already increased it as high as it can go, I'm
    > really confused.
    >
    > Request object error 'ASP 0101 : 80004005'
    > Unexpected error
    > /scripts/update/ShadowUploader.asp, line 58
    > The function returned |.
    >
    > Line 58: strBinData = Request.BinaryRead(iBytesCount)

    My guess is that iBytesCount is not a chunk size but the total size right.
    IOW, you are not chunking the data in but trying to read the whole lot in a
    single buffer. OR am I wrong?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jul 8, 2008
  7. Dan wrote:
    > When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following
    > error (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
    > Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the
    > website in IIS.

    Is Firefox the only affected browser?

    > Connection Interrupted
    > The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    > The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection.
    > Please try again.
    >
    > When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by
    > ASP. The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed
    > needs to be increased, but since I've already increased it as high as
    > it can go, I'm really confused.

    Is there any chance this server is behind a proxy (reverse or otherwise)?
    Can you duplicate this behavior on the server itself (by logging into the
    server and using the web client on the machine to upload a large file)?

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jul 9, 2008