C++ cross platform frameworks

pintux

Hi everybody,

Anyone knows other cross platform frameworks for C++ than NSPR and
wxWidgets?
I need to build GUIs and Network programming.

Thanks,

antonio

Victor Bazarov

pintux said:
Anyone knows other cross platform frameworks for C++ than NSPR and
wxWidgets?
I need to build GUIs and Network programming.

Qt. More on Google.

Gernot Frisch

pintux said:
Hi everybody,

Anyone knows other cross platform frameworks for C++ than NSPR and
wxWidgets?
I need to build GUIs and Network programming.

google for:

wxWindows
fox toolkit
ultimate++
U/WIND

There's many of them out there. Almost all are missing something
important. Qt might be a good starting point, but it's not very cheap.
There's some free ones as I showed above.
HTH,
Gernot

Mike Smith

Gernot said:
There's many of them out there. Almost all are missing something
important.

Or try to do too much. I would love to see a library that wraps the GUI
and *nothing but* the GUI (i.e. not threads, or sockets, etc.), and uses
the Standard Library for things like strings and streams, without
creating their own special versions of everything (e.g. CString,
wxString, etc. - why not use std::string?).

Arijit

Victor said:
Qt. More on Google.

Though calling QT a C++ framework is stretching the term.
For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

Arijit

Victor said:
Is there a universal definition of "a C++ framework"?

No. Just my opinion, but a C++ framework should use only C++. Not
something extra, going beyond the language like QT does.

-Arijit

Arijit

Mike said:
Or try to do too much. I would love to see a library that wraps the GUI
and *nothing but* the GUI (i.e. not threads, or sockets, etc.), and uses
the Standard Library for things like strings and streams, without
creating their own special versions of everything (e.g. CString,
wxString, etc. - why not use std::string?).

I think gtkmm comes very close. It does use its own string though. Thats
because of things related to unicode and locales, IIRC.
Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----

Gernot Frisch

Mike Smith said:
Or try to do too much. I would love to see a library that wraps the
GUI and *nothing but* the GUI (i.e. not threads, or sockets, etc.),
and uses the Standard Library for things like strings and streams,
without creating their own special versions of everything (e.g.
CString, wxString, etc. - why not use std::string?).

Google for Ultimate++. It's a very very slim toolkit based on X
(Linux) and API (win). It has an IDE written in Ultimate++, which is
the main target they programmed the library for.