    other. So will you ppl plz suggest me some good resources in net?
    I have that book by Schildt and Strousstrup(found a bit hard).Any
    other good book?
    rudra, Apr 14, 2008

  2. rudra

    Guest

    On Apr 14, 9:13 am, rudra <> wrote:
    > other. So will you ppl plz suggest me some good resources in net?
    > I have that book by Schildt and Strousstrup(found a bit hard).Any
    > other good book?

    Google for "Thinking in C++" by Eckel.
    , Apr 14, 2008

  3. rudra <> writes:

    > Dear friends,
    > as in the previous post, i told i am just started learnning C++ and i
    > have no background in C either. in my institute, there is no C/C++
    > user and hence my learnning is very slow as i have found C++ a bit
    > complicated(plz dnt get angry). Some ppl(not experienced) ppl
    > suggested me to learn C first before venturing to C++....is it a good
    > idea? because, the syntax might be same but as far as i understood,
    > the approach in attackin a problem is quite different.

    I find some value in learning things in the historical order. This
    allows you to understand better the reasons why things are the way
    they are, and gives you a less steep learning curve.

    In the case of C and C++, I've got the impression it would be harder
    to learn C++ first and more painful to try to learn C thereafter.

    Really, I too would advice to learn C first. That is, if you want to
    learn C at all, and if you plan ever to write C programs.

    Some will tell you that you would have to unlearn some of C to become
    a C++ programmer. Well I think that's something different, that's the
    question of methodology (OO) and program architecture, etc. You can
    write good OO code in C, if you know OO. And of course you can write
    also good structured code in C++, if you're a good structured
    programmer ;-), but people will cry if you do.

    Otherwise, you can just learn OO and C++ at once, and forget about
    this C thing.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Apr 14, 2008
  4. rudra

    Bo Persson Guest

    Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    > rudra <> writes:
    >
    >> Dear friends,
    >> as in the previous post, i told i am just started learnning C++
    >> and i have no background in C either. in my institute, there is no
    >> C/C++ user and hence my learnning is very slow as i have found C++
    >> a bit complicated(plz dnt get angry). Some ppl(not experienced)
    >> ppl suggested me to learn C first before venturing to C++....is it
    >> a good idea? because, the syntax might be same but as far as i
    >> understood, the approach in attackin a problem is quite different.

    > I find some value in learning things in the historical order. This
    > allows you to understand better the reasons why things are the way
    > they are, and gives you a less steep learning curve.
    >
    > In the case of C and C++, I've got the impression it would be harder
    > to learn C++ first and more painful to try to learn C thereafter.

    After you have learned C++, using C is painful - yes. :)

    > Really, I too would advice to learn C first. That is, if you want
    > to learn C at all, and if you plan ever to write C programs.

    If you want to learn C, do that. If you want to learn C++, do that.

    There are lots of things in C, mostly low level, that you have
    absolutely no use for in C++. Why spend your time learning that, if
    the goal is to learn C++?

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Apr 14, 2008
  5. rudra

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    On Apr 14, 10:13 am, rudra <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > So will you ppl plz suggest me some good resources in net?

    You really should buy a book or two.

    _Accelerated C++_ by Koenig and Moo.

    Somebody else already mentioned _Thinking in C++_.

    You should also cruise to www.accu.org and check their book
    reviews. When you've got the basics down then you will want
    to delve into specialized areas.

    > I have that book by Schildt and Strousstrup(found a bit hard).Any
    > other good book?

    Stroustrup.

    Ok, if Schildt and Stroustrup wrote a book together
    A) I'm surprised,
    B) I've never heard of it, and
    C) I'm REALLY surprised.

    You will probably be able to handily live without Schildt.
    I've heard that one of his more recent C++ books is ok, but
    the earlier ones have left a bad enough taste that I really
    can't be bothered to check.

    It reminds me of an old joke about the opera, the punchline
    of which is "You bloody do it again until you bloody get
    it right!"
    Socks
    Puppet_Sock, Apr 14, 2008
  6. rudra

    red floyd Guest

    Puppet_Sock wrote:

    >> I have that book by Schildt and Strousstrup(found a bit hard).Any
    >> other good book?

    > Stroustrup.
    >
    > Ok, if Schildt and Stroustrup wrote a book together
    > A) I'm surprised,
    > B) I've never heard of it, and
    > C) I'm REALLY surprised.

    I think you're probably joking, but the parse is "I have Schildt, and I
    also have Stroustrup".
    =
    red floyd, Apr 14, 2008
  7. rudra

    rudra Guest

    > Ok, if Schildt and Stroustrup wrote a book together
    > A) I'm surprised,
    > B) I've never heard of it, and
    > C) I'm REALLY surprised.

    Dear Puppet_Sock,
    u neednt get surprised.....i just want to mention that i have to C++
    book with me..one by Schildt and other by BS.....
    rudra, Apr 15, 2008
  8. rudra

    arnuld Guest

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:15:34 +0200, Bo Persson wrote:

    > After you have learned C++, using C is painful - yes. :)

    Right. I am feeling lot of difficulty in learning C right now. Most of the
    times I forget about the problem I am working on ans struggle with K&R2.

    Many Many people say that C++ is complex and monstrous whereas C is small
    and simple. I have found C to be as complex as of C++. Regarding C++ is a
    big monster, thats not as much of as a big deal as many people think :)

    > If you want to learn C, do that. If you want to learn C++, do that.

    I tried learning C first and my C++ code was terrible, then I took the
    opposite approach and I am happy now.

    > There are lots of things in C, mostly low level, that you have
    > absolutely no use for in C++. Why spend your time learning that, if the
    > goal is to learn C++?

    Exactly. The 1st question is not C++ or C. It is what is th goal of yours ?

    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/

    Please remove capital 'V's when you reply to me via e-mail.
    arnuld, Apr 15, 2008