Calendar SelectionChanged Event Does Not Fire on Current Date

EagleRed

I have an application that displays a calendar control. When the user
selects any date other than the current date the SelectionChanged event
fires. However, when the current date is selected it does not fire.
Normally, the calendar is not visible on the page. If it is displayed, how
can I dismiss it and change the visibility of other controls without
selecting a date other than the current date?

The desired scenario is to have a textbox, containing a date string, with an
image button just to its right. When the image button is clicked the
calendar is set to visible and the textbox and image button is set to
invisible. When the user selects a date, including the current date, the
textbox is set to the new date and the calendar is set to invisible and the
visibility of the textbox and image button are restored. I would like to
avoid something like a "Dismiss calendar button" to dismiss the calendar
without changing its selected date.

Thank you.