Can a field communicate to a server and return information to another field without retrieving the w

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by marcelf3@yahoo.com, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I´ve got a sql table which has 3 fields.
    Their relation to each other is like this example.

    | CARS | YEAR | PRICE |
    ford 2000
    ford 2001
    ford 2003
    volkswagen 1999
    volkswagen 2000

    I am developing an ASP web page that modifies a specific registry.
    So, it loads the information to some fields, but the user will be able
    to change only the "PRICE" field.
    I have to create two selects, one for "CARS" and other for "YEAR".
    But the "YEAR" field will only contain the correspondent years for each
    car the user selects. Example: selecting "ford" in the "CARS" <select>
    box, only the years "2000", "2001", "2003" would be automatically
    loaded in the "YEAR" <selec> box.
    How could i implement it? All sorts of suggestions will be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    Marcel;.

    , Jan 13, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I´ve got a sql table which has 3 fields.
    > Their relation to each other is like this example.
    >
    > | CARS | YEAR | PRICE |
    > ford 2000
    > ford 2001
    > ford 2003
    > volkswagen 1999
    > volkswagen 2000
    >
    > I am developing an ASP web page that modifies a specific registry.
    > So, it loads the information to some fields, but the user will be

    able
    > to change only the "PRICE" field.
    > I have to create two selects, one for "CARS" and other for "YEAR".
    > But the "YEAR" field will only contain the correspondent years for

    each
    > car the user selects. Example: selecting "ford" in the "CARS"

    <select>
    > box, only the years "2000", "2001", "2003" would be automatically
    > loaded in the "YEAR" <selec> box.
    > How could i implement it? All sorts of suggestions will be welcome.

    No idea, why did you post here in c.l.php while programming in ASP.
    Anyway...
    1. Pure PHP way: Put 2 or 3 steps so that you get user inputs from each
    step like Cars in first step, year in second step, etc.
    2. Create on the fly JavaScript code using PHP. The JS code then should
    work in such a way that if you choose cars, it has to populate year in
    another select list.
    3. JavaScript + PHP with XMLHttpRequest technique
    <http://jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html>
    4. Combination of above.

    p.s.: Google to find more resources.

    --