can I progarmatically register asp.net to IIS

chandan

Hi,
I am using aspnet_regiss.exe utility from command prompt to register
asp.net to IIS. But my requirement is to do it programmatically so
that client need not worry about this registration. Can we do this
programmatically??

Thanks
Chandan

David R. Longnecker

Chandan-

You could create a simple command file that the client (or you) run on installation
(or build it into your deployment package).

%windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

I suppose you could also do something using the System.Diagnostics.Process
class and create a little Console executable, but this might a bit of overkill.
Remember, simple (hence, a command file), is good. :)

If you want a console file to ask for input, etc or have other tasks, here's
a quick example using your aspnet_regiis.exe file:

// Create a new Process object.
Process registerProcess = new Process();

// Assign the aspnet_regiis.exe file to the process.
registerProcess.StartInfo.FileName =
System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("windir") +
@"\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe";

// Pass along the -i parameter (install)
registerProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = @"-i";

// Simply return the output to the same calling command window.
registerProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = false;
registerProcess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = false;
registerProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = false;

// Start the process.
try
{
// Start the process.