Can one make up one's own cookie encrypt and decrypt keys?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Randall Parker, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. I'm just learning web security and so this might be a naive question:

    I'm looking here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pconformsauthenticationacrossapplications.asp

    and see validationKey and decryptionKey in their example. Do those keys encrypt and
    decrypt cookies that get sent to browsers?

    Can one make up one's own keys or does one have to buy them? If one has to buy them
    then from where and at what cost?

    Also, I thought I understood the basics of XML but this bit is confusing:

    <!-- Validation and decryption keys must exactly match and cannot
    be set to "AutoGenerate". The validation algorithm must also
    be the same. -->
    <machineKey>
    validationKey=
    "C50B3C89CB21F4F1422FF158A5B42D0E8DB8CB5CDA1742572A487D9401E3400267682B202B746511891C1BAF47F8D25C07F6C39A104696DB51F17C529AD3CABE"

    decryptionKey= "8A9BE8FD67AF6979E7D20198CFEA50DD3D3799C77AF2B72F"
    validation="SHA1"
    isolateApplications="false"
    </machineKey>

    Note that the validationKey, decryptionKey, validation, and isolateApplications are
    not attributes of machineKey since they do not occur before the greater than sign.
    Also, they are not in their own separate elements. So do they get parsed out?
    Randall Parker, Dec 4, 2005