Can the nesting of Repeater Controls cause problems?

John Kotuby

Hi all,
I have a page that displays the contents of a business document in HTML that
uses multiple select queries to provide the relevent data. There is a call
to the parent table and then multiple calls to related child tables. The
selects that return multiple rows (details) I have placed in Repeater
controls within the table that I use for formatting.

I now face the task of producing multiple documents on the same page
depending on a user's selection. The number of docunts is determined at
runtime.

I have 2 ideas in mind:

1. Placing the entire document table structure within a Repeater (I don't
know if that is even feasible), thus the question about nesting repeaters.

2. Dynamically loading user controls and populating their fields as they are
loaded. The UserControl would represent one of the documents.

Can anyone comment on what might be the better path to take before I head
down a blind alley? I can envision option 2 as being easier to handle in a
more linear fashion...Load the user control then call the Data populating
subs.

The other question is, can I declare the ID of the control when it's added?
I haven't seen that option in the documentation. Or should I just go with
the default naming which I believe is UserControlName1, UserControlName2
....etc?

Thanks for any input....

John Kotuby

Ok, I can see I am being castigated from the group for using vulgar
language.
"The number of docunts is determined at runtime."
I suppose I should learn how to type and stop thinking out-loud on a
newsgroup...especially early on a Monday morning.

Ta...

John Kotuby

Hi all...

For anyone that is interested I chose option:

2. Dynamically loading user controls and populating their fields as they are
loaded. The UserControl would represent one of the documents.

This works like a charm as long as I provide a container such as a panel or
placeholder. Each of the User Controls accepts a single public property
value from the calling page and then proceeds to load its child controls
with the proper data after the call to container.AddControl().